• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

DTS Decoder Software Not Hardware in Movie Players...

ejfiii

This may not mean much to some people, but to dealers like me it explains a lot.

I have been told that when outputting DTS from a movie player (over the digital outputs obviously) the analog audio outputs go dark since the decoder is software not hardware based.

You might say, so what. Well, most of our systems are large distributed audio and video systems and this is a problem for non surround zones that the movie player is feeding. Usually we will have one or more surround sound zones in a house and the other audio and video zones will be stereo. We feed the digital audio to the surround sound processors and analog audio to the whole house audio matrix switches. Now, when a DTS disc comes on it won't be heard in the stereo zones - even if they are video zones.

Solution is to set Dolby Digital as the default and not DTS. Or get a dedicated movie player for each surround sound zone and another for the whole house audio zones and set their default outputs accordingly.

Good luck.

Another solution, although its not as elegant is to get a cheap DTS decoder, say an inexpensive receiver and have that matrixed into the system.

DTS & DD

I experienced that very earlier on, and what's more annoying is that the menus are not in DTS like the movie, so you can hear the audio over the menu. That had me stumped for some time.

The audio being in one format for menus and another for the movie is all DVDs. I think most are 2.0 for the menus.

best regards,
Jerry

I found that this also applies to HDMI. I don't think the movie player outputs 5.1 over HDMI, it's like a 2 channel downmix. Makes sense if you are connecting to a plasma or LCD and using the built in speakers, but if going HDMI to an AV Receiver, you would also need to run either coax or toslink for 5.1

WOW. I just ran into this problem - for the first time I tried getting audio from my Movie Player 2500 through HDMI rather than the digital output and I found that I could only get 2 channel audio. So I take it no K Player can output multichannel audio over HDMI? That's pretty weak.

The FAQ section on the K website confirms that 5.1 is not available over HDMI:

Q: Do the HDMI outputs support 5.1 surround sound?
A: No, the HDMI outputs on the Movie Player and the Movie Player 2 carry video and PCM stereo audio only. When using HDMI for video, you can use digital coaxial, digital optical, or analog stereo outputs for audio

While I doubt this affect DD and DTS, HDMI has a lot of jitter on it which is why I setup my player from the beginning with the video over HDMI but the audio over coax.

No 5.1 over HDMI

I too found this by accident and spent a bit of time trying to find out why as I had the player plugged into a Denon receiver which I was not familiar with and thought I had a problem with the receiver. :)

I would expect that this will be corrected in the Blu-Ray player when it is released.

I would expect that this will be corrected in the Blu-Ray player when it is released.

Yes, we all expect this to be the case.:)

Jim

Back