• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Do cartridges come with the 1U and 3U servers?

lawder

Hi there,

I just received pricing from my integrator on the 1U and 3U servers - wondering if the server price is inclusive of any cartridges, or if all cartridges are to be purchased separately? This is not clear from the specs.

Hi there,

I just received pricing from my integrator on the 1U and 3U servers - wondering if the server price is inclusive of any cartridges, or if all cartridges are to be purchased separately? This is not clear from the specs.

That question is best asked to the dealer, but, assuming this is a new order and not an "add-on," the current dealer price list has only one version of the 1U and it comes with all four slots full. This 1U holds approx. 150 Blu-ray or 900 DVDs. The 3U's have two populated versions, one is fully populated (14 disks) (holds 600 BR, or 3600 DVDs), the other version comes with 8 disks installed, room for 6 more disks in the future (holds 300 BR, or 1800 DVDs).

3U full is $26,995 msrp
3U w/8 disks is $20,995
1U full (4 disks) is $9,995 msrp

Players are separate and there are a few models to choose from, including two of the latest (and highly recommended) M Series players. If you plan to store and playback BR content, without having to place a disc in the M500 Player's tray, you'll also need a vault (either the M700, or KVAULT-10). The M700 has a built in Player, the other vault does not. The M700 holds 320 discs (any type), the KVAULT-10 holds 100 BR discs.

Keep in mind that some dealer's also factor in additional costs to their quotes (i.e. installation, other required equipment, etc.), so their numbers may be higher than quoted above. Another suggestion, although the K systems are very easy to setup, they can add complexity to a fully automated home system which is where a local integrater adds significant value IMO.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Last edited:
When the 3TB storage is available, should we expect to pay the same for a new 3U or will the price likely increase?

K has never increased the price of a Server because of larger drives coming available. However, current pricing of the two 3U Servers available (see above) does factor in the current cost of the drives installed, so I guess it is possible that larger drives could increase the price, assuming the cost for larger drives is actually higher than current 2TB's. We'll see.

Jim

I doubt that would increase the cost of the servers given that they would use fewer drives for a target capacity - especially with a 50% increase in storage per drive if the next drive is a 3TB, which is quite likely.

I agree.

Jim

Is that a decrease in price in the last year or so? I remember the 1U being $7500-$8000 ish MSRP and disks about $1200 per - that gets me just south of $13K fully loaded

Yes, K lowered the disk costs several months ago, and also established new configurations for the Servers. This led to a slightly lower cost.:)

Jim

Yes, K lowered the disk costs several months ago, and also established new configurations for the Servers. This led to a slightly lower cost.:)

Jim

Thanks Jim - what do you mean by "new configurations for the Servers" - do you mean they were able to build the servers at a lower cost because of a price decrease in parts/components or change in the types of components and therefore lowered the price? or something else entirely?

I think what he means is the dealer price lists used to list an empty 1u and discs separately. Now, apparently, the dealer price list doesn't mention an empty 1U, only a fully populated one. So the new configuration for the server is a full one instead of an empty one.

That's correct. For example, K has pre-configured two different 3U Servers, one is full (14 disks), and the other includes 8 disks. That 8 disk 3U is now the minimum sized 3U appearing on the dealer price list. (Previously, you could order a 3U with as few as 3 disks.)

Jim

Presumably for existing 1U owners, they can buy a new empty 3U + 1 (hot spare) disc and migrate a 2/3/4 disc file system from the 1U server to the empty 3U?

Presumably for existing 1U owners, they can buy a new empty 3U + 1 (hot spare) disc and migrate a 2/3/4 disc file system from the 1U server to the empty 3U?

There is a method for doing this, but it's not listed on the dealer lists and must be coordinated through K Support. Anyone interested should contact their dealer for assistance.

Jim

Back