• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital Confusion

Noah Winter

On the support web page it states:

"[K003488] Does a Blu-ray disc or DVD need to be cataloged or imported to receive Digital Offers?

No. On a system running kOS 6.0.0 or higher, a disc does not need to be cataloged or imported to receive Digital Offers (in regions where the Kaleidescape Movie Store is supported). Simply insert the disc into the tray or slot of a player, and the Disc in Player page appears. Open the Digital Offers menu to display the available offers from the Kaleidescape Movie Store. Select a Digital Offer and enter your on-screen purchase passcode to begin downloading the title to your Kaleidescape System."

When I place a BD in the vault, it identifies the disc and then automatically begins to import. The title did not appear in my stores "Digital Offers" section until it was fully imported. I also could not find it on my movie menu on the cover art page until it had imported.

Where does this "Disc in Player page" appear?

It seems like I am importing it twice this way so I must be missing something?
Thank you for any assistance.

There is a setting on your players, be it the M500 or the M700 that you can set to automatically import discs that are inserted or wait to be told to do so. I have my M700 set to automatically import discs but I have my M500's set to only import when I tell it to. On those M500's, when I insert the discs, the digital offer appears as a line item under the play movie, etc. options.

Actually, assuming an import-capable system and an importable disc, the M700 always imports automatically, and the M500 never does. It always shows the movie details on the screen, and the user has the option to play, catalog, import (if supported for that disc type), or do Disc-to-Digital.

The M500 does have an import button on the front so that you can import discs without having to look at the TV. If the disc can't be imported (e.g. a DVD on our more recent systems), it will be cataloged.

The auto-import setting was retired when we introduced that front-panel button.

To further clarify, the Disc in Player detail sheet is not available on vaults. If you are putting a disc in a vault, it will have to be catalogued or imported before you can access a detail sheet.

In order to check for digital offers without importing/cataloguing, put the disc into the optical drive of a player (M500, Alto, etc).

Thanks everyone. My take away from the discussion above is that my system is working as expected. When you insert a disc into the M700 it is going to Import it and you will not have the ability to purchase the title via the Store's Disc to Digital service until the Importing is complete.

Since I only own the two pieces of equipment at this time, the grandfathered 3U Server and the M700, I have been doing the following to minimize the additional time and wear and tear on my equipment of importing, deleting, then downloading. I use a different online service to do the disc to UV purchase using my PC and this picks up about 75% of discs. Then I can just download the UV from the Store and skip the Import/ delete process except for the remaining 25% of the mis-read discs. Those I go through the longer process of importing, deleting, then downloading from the Store.

This is good information to know, thanks again for the explanations. It would be a lot less cumbersome for me if the M700 did have a system button to allow for cataloging instead of instant importing. Then I could just fill the changer up and purchase the Disc to Digital direct from the Store, but I may be rare not owning a standalone player as we watch movies in our home theater and so do not have a need for an additional player.

New Alto owner here.

Is there a way to determine if the K-store offers a digital version of a particular movie that I am considering purchasing somewhere other than the K-store (lots less money than at the K-store).

Also, I have read where other K users have set up special scenes to bookmark and store those scenes for future reference for demo purposes. Does that ability exist on the Alto - or the Strato when I add one of those?

Thanks.

Yes, you could go to the Kaleidescape store and search for the movie you are considering, then select it and scroll down to see if it offer's "Disc to Digital" You could end up purchasing a "different version" of the movie than what is being offered online, and your results may vary but after 400 plus disc to digital offers I only had 6 that would not work with the disc I owned. Other's experiences may differ.

I cant answer the other question regarding the Alto or Strato.

Back