• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc to Digital: Blue Ray or DVD

Teriyaki88

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying more DVD's on Amazon Prime Day.
Some of the collections I'm looking at come in regular DVD versions and some in Blu-ray versions.
The plan is to catalog these via an Alto device.

My questions:
Does it cost more to convert from DVD to Digital or Blue-ray to Digital?
If I only have the DVD version, can I get 'Blueray' or higher quality from Kaleidescape? Is the cost to upgrade depend on my original content/DVD version?

Thank you in advance.

The cost to convert depends on the pricing offered by the particular movie. Generally speaking however if you have the Blu-ray version, the discount will be greater than the DVD version of the same movie. You will be presented with what ever qualities that are available (SD, HD, UHD) and a corresponding price (IE you could just buy a movie in SD/DVD quality for the lowest price). Some (newer?) movies have what they call 'Unified pricing' that offers one price only. See below for an example of converting a DVD where you can choose between different prices/quality:

catalog-dvd.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it usually costs more to convert from DVD to Digital HD whereas converting from Blu-ray to Digital HD is usually less.

Having said that if you don’t care about picture quality the least expensive conversion is usually converting from DVD to Digital SD.

It used to be that in order to do d2d with DVD’s, the Store version would also need to have the SD version. I don’t know if that is still the case, but it is something to check on. There are studios on the Store,that do not have SD versions.

John

EdiT: Fixed typo.

Last edited:
The cost to convert depends on the pricing offered by the particular movie. Generally speaking however if you have the Blu-ray version, the discount will be greater than the DVD version of the same movie. You will be presented with what ever qualities that are available (SD, HD, UHD) and a corresponding price (IE you could just buy a movie in SD/DVD quality for the lowest price). Some (newer?) movies have what they call 'Unified pricing' that offers one price only. See below for an example of converting a DVD where you can choose between different prices/quality:

View attachment 3019
Cant say that I recognise that screen. I have loads of d2d offers but they just show the movie and the price. Can you explain which device/store and app/screen you are in to see those options please?

Thx

Cant say that I recognise that screen. I have loads of d2d offers but they just show the movie and the price. Can you explain which device/store and app/screen you are in to see those options please?

Thx
That screen shot is what it looks like on a Cinema One. Here is the same movie in my store account. If I choose Blu-ray quality or DVD quality, the price goes down and matches what is shown in my first screenshot.

d2d-store.jpg

View attachment 3019
That is very helpful! Thank you!

That screen shot is what it looks like on a Cinema One. Here is the same movie in my store account. If I choose Blu-ray quality or DVD quality, the price goes down and matches what is shown in my first screenshot.

View attachment 3020
Ahhh thanks. That is what I recognise (I don't have a Cinema One, just a C player and terra servers and I had a loaner Vault to catalogue our disks but that's gone back.

Does it cost more to convert from DVD to Digital or Blue-ray to Digital?
If I only have the DVD version, can I get 'Blueray' or higher quality from Kaleidescape? Is the cost to upgrade depend on my original content/DVD version?
Definitely a YMMV issue, but there was a screenshot from Mike (I think in this section of the forum but could not quickly find the post) showing what my experience has been. I have found that straight conversions will, as often as not, cost more than D2D-upgrades (ie. $9 for BD>HD but $5 for BD>HDR.)

Back