• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disc no longer recognized

Mr.Poindexter

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I have a few discs that were loaded into the system, but for some reason now, they cannot be read and get ejected from the vault. Nothing ever happened to these discs as I just leave them in the vault. At least one of them is a disc#3 in a set and I would hate to have to rebuy an entire season of a show just because a disc suddenly is not "readable" by the system.

Anybody else have this issue and know how to fix it?

Disconnect from the internet, import them manually, enter all meta data yourself. Eventually K will catch up and add it to the catalog. Why be hindered while waiting though? I’m not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a bit. Best as I can tell (in my cases, anyway) the discs ae degrading. Sometimes I can pop them back in, occasionally that will be in vain but I can still read them in other devices, most often they have turned into coasters.

I've had more than a dozen BR discs get ejected from my Vaults over the years, usually with the indication the disc cannot be identified and must be ejected. There seems to be several causes (based on my history of dealing with this issue):

--The optical drive in the Vault is having problems (this is sometimes verified by checking the ejected disc in another component (M500, or another Vault), as mentioned above by Kevin.

--The physical movie disc itself has degraded and is now difficult to read. (discs can degrade when stored for long periods, but really depends on manufacturing process of the discs).

I don't know for certain, but wonder if some "updated" versions of past movies loaded into the K Store are affecting this somehow (maybe new UPC to ID the movie???).

Keep in mind that getting the movie to be imported/recognized in an M500 doesn't help at all if it's a BR disc, we still need it to be recognized by a Vault in order to playback from the Server.

Jim

Just to add my experience here is the sequence of events that that led up to this:

• In August 2016, I deleted all disc based content and discs (approx. 300 discs) in order to make room for downloaded titles on my server.
  • Approximately three (3) weeks later I had added more drives to my system and hence started loading all of my discs back into my 3U server.
  • All of the discs loaded back in fine except for 4 discs. These 4 discs were recognized by the M700 but got an error message of something to the effect of “trouble reading disc” part way through the load and it could never be loaded.
  • I tried the 4 “bad” discs in my M500 player and one was able to load while the rest got the same error as the M700. All 4 were recognized.
  • I tried to play all of the discs that would not load with the M500 on my Oppo BDP-93 and all began playing and played for a little while (I didn’t play all the way through and can not remember how far in I watched).

I can draw the following conclusions:

• All of the discs (including the 4 “bad” discs were recognized by the M700 so if I hadn’t deleted out the movies on the server, the M700 would have recognized these as residing in the vault.
  • If a disc can not be recognized by a vault due to deterioration of the disc, it must be horribly deteriored to not even be able to recognize the disc.

It seems like the most probable reason the discs are failing in my case is due to deterioration of the discs. It seems to meet all of the facts. I can not totally rule out differences in players as being the cause since 75% of the discs repeat on two different players (no results on Oppo since I did not watch any of the entire discs).

This is not totally related to what started the post but is tangentially related and I wanted to document my results incase it is helpful to others.

John

Last edited:
Back