• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Disappointed new owner

I purchased a new Strato C and 22tb server in May 2023. It was a big decision for me, being such an expense.

Last month, the network port on the server failed.

I received the replacement server today. It still does not work. The box label also states it is a refurbished model. I have not paid all this money for a refurbished model.

Before this refurbished model arrived, i asked my dealer if i could pay to upgrade to the latest server model. The distributer say it is not an option.

Not happy. I did plan to buy the new SSD models in the future, but this has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear about the port problem, but very surprised you have they same? problem with the replacement, and frankly that would be VERY unusual. Makes me wonder if there isn't something else wrong in your AV system, but obviously Support will know more when they look at your system.
Regarding the -R attached to the unit, that does indicate a "Remanufactured" status, and in your case it may be remanufactured unless they were holding some of the former Terra models in stock for warranty purposes, BUT, the -R may or may not actually represent the server's status because that designation is added to any replacement product shipped under warranty, even if the product was "new in the box."

Regarding upgrading to the new Terra Prime, I believe that option was only available until the end of October because it is no longer listed on our dealer price lists. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, your dealer should discuss this issue with their Regional Sales Rep.

As to your disappointment in possibly receiving a -R replacement, as an AV dealer offering many brands from some of the largest and best manufacturers, not one that I'm aware of would send a new in the box replacement 5 months after the initial sale. If they do it at all (a few companies do), they only do that if a defect occurs in the first 30 to 60 days, otherwise it must be sent in for repair. At least with K they will ship an advanced replacement (with dealer approval) so you don't have to wait for a repair.

All of that said, I'm sure it's frustrating to encounter problems with any product priced at these levels. Hopefully your issue is resolved soon.

Jim

That sucks. Just some quick troubleshooting questions. It's odd that two units would have the same issue. Have you tried changing the ethernet wire and moving then wire to a different port in your network switch?

Yes, we have tried different cables, and different ports with no joy. The server is in a different room to the the player with a port switch. We also moved it to the same room so it was on the same router as the player. We have tried cables and ports which work with other devices. It’s strange. It was working fine, then I had a few very slow downloads. Now the player does not see it on the network. The player has also not discovered the new server, no matter what we try in the settings. The conclusion with the original server was that the network port had failed. It’s all very odd.

While it's been a couple years now, I also had two faulty Terra units over a 6 month period both with the network port going out completely. It really gave me second thoughts about my switch to the platform especially having just unloaded most of my physical collection, but my dealer and Kaleidescape were quick to address the problem and make it right. Was actually impressed that they had a new unit in my hands before I even sent the defective one back. So I've been where you are and know it's not a fun feeling, but hang in there and hopefully they get you up and running soon.
My 3rd time's a charm unit is going on a couple years with no issue and now I can't imagine my theatre experience without it.

Thanks. I'm sure it will all be sorted out. I am a patient person, but it has been unusable for nearly a month now. With The Creator and Oppenheimer due out soon, i am starting to get twitchy! :)

I had roughly the same issue. Went through 3 servers with the same end result “cannot find server.” One tech indicated, or maybe it was on this forum, that K got a bad batch of network cards. Another on the phone said “no, it was the on/off switching kept turning the server off.” Was a struggle over 6 months but K sent me a new 22t server that has worked fine for almost a year.

Thanks. That is reassuring.

I am willing to pay an additional amount for these new models as a replacement, mainly for peace of mind. The UK distributor said it is not an option.

Back