• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Digital Version vs. Hard Copy?

BenNat

Outside the ability of removing the Blu-Ray/DVDs from the vault is there other advantages-size? To be more direct does anyone know the size of a store Blu-Ray and/or DVD quality copy vs. the average of a Blu-Ray/DVD disc? I am curious if it is smart to purchase the digital upgrades or replace some of my Blu-Ray discs with my UV digital versions that I already own. I am trying to maximize my server space until I purchase a new 1U/3U. Thoughts?

If you are saying that you already have the uv version that allows you to download the movie for free from the store then the main advantage is that you can also remove the disc.

i tend to always replace my BR with downloaded versions for the above reason and also:

1) I can usually download the movie without the extras (you can obviously do this with the BR version also).
2) I tend to switch between HD and SD versions on movies that are not my favorites in order to save space.
3) I also don't hesitate to delete out a movie that I don't like when I know it would be very easy to download again in the future if needed. I tend to never delete out BR movies since it makes me remove the disc and I am afraid I might misplace it.

John

Thanks John J and Yetis for the helpful feedback.

Interestingly and counter to the discussion linked above, sometimes the K store's version is more than your home copy-sort of. Case in point, I have tried to digitize my 30 plus DVDs, as I do not own a grandfathered server (as of yet) and loathe the carousel delay, so when I loaded Gone with the Wind (wife's choice:rolleyes:) I excluded two supplemental discs, but after purchasing the digital DVD copy I received those supplemental versions anyway (which is forcing me to abandon the digital copy due to size).

When you select to download the movie, you can immediately go to downloads and see how many discs it includes. From there you can select to supplement discs and choose not to download them.

I'm also not sure if they ever added the option to the premier line, but on the second C1, you can select the movie and select delete. This gives you the option to delete the individual discs.

Kevin D.

Thanks Kevin for the info, but I cannot seem to locate a way to remove the supplemental files of the digital download.

Looks like you a have a 1U server from the premier line and my hunch they have not added that features yet is correct.

Your best bet is to delete the movie from the server and re-download it from the store. As soon as you select it for download, go to the download list in the store. It will list every disc in the movie as a separate download. Click the icon next to the supplement discs and select remove. This should leave you with just the movie download.

Kevin D.

I wasn't sure about the SD version so I tried downloading from the store. You get the following files downloaded:

Feature (Part 1)
Freture (Part 2)
Supplement (Part 1)
Supplement (Part 2)

Kevin is correct that you have to stop the Supplements before they download otherwise there is no way to delete only the supplements.

John

Store tip: If you want to know how much space a specific title on the store will take up on your system you can find the size of the download on the package details page (the info sheet that pops up when you click on a title's cover art image). Towards the bottom of the page is a "Size" section that will tell you the size of the download.

True, but no simple way to compare it against a previously imported copy, short of popping it out and sticking it in a computer. Maybe a website somewhere, but nothing within the system itself.

While talking with K support, I asked this question and the response was that the digital version should have somewhere between 1gb and 10gb less due to the absence opening menu animation.

Back