• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Digital Movie Poster K-Scape plug-in feature set help

Apologies in advance for the slight thread hijack here.

CPDID is a way to assign each device in your Kaleidescape system a unique ID number for routing commands to. By default, the devices in your system have their CPDID set to "None". You can assign a CPDID on the Control tab of the device settings as @Transepoch mentions above.
1698760052186.png
The assignable number range is from "02" to "99" with "01" being reserved as the local device. You need to assign a different CPDID to each device. CPDIDs are used when you have a control system that can only connect to one specific IP address (usually the Kaleidescape server) but needs to communicate and control multiple devices. The control system sends commands to the server but prefixes them with the CPDID of the device that it wants to talk to and the K server forwards the command appropriately.

I'm curious to know why this cover art plugin has the CPDID as a required field (as shown in the example screenshot in @DMB 's post above). If the plugin only communicates with the Kaleidescape server, then the CPDID shouldn't be required since you've already provided the IP address for the server (and you can assume a CPDID of "01").

Depending on what this plug in is trying to do, there are other, cleaner ways to auto-discover and communicate with devices in the system rather than having the user enter an IP address (or a CPDID).

Reactions: DMB
Apologies in advance for the slight thread hijack here.

CPDID is a way to assign each device in your Kaleidescape system a unique ID number for routing commands to. By default, the devices in your system have their CPDID set to "None". You can assign a CPDID on the Control tab of the device settings as @Transepoch mentions above.
View attachment 4186
The assignable number range is from "02" to "99" with "01" being reserved as the local device. You need to assign a different CPDID to each device. CPDIDs are used when you have a control system that can only connect to one specific IP address (usually the Kaleidescape server) but needs to communicate and control multiple devices. The control system sends commands to the server but prefixes them with the CPDID of the device that it wants to talk to and the K server forwards the command appropriately.

I'm curious to know why this cover art plugin has the CPDID as a required field (as shown in the example screenshot in @DMB 's post above). If the plugin only communicates with the Kaleidescape server, then the CPDID shouldn't be required since you've already provided the IP address for the server (and you can assume a CPDID of "01").

Depending on what this plug in is trying to do, there are other, cleaner ways to auto-discover and communicate with devices in the system rather than having the user enter an IP address (or a CPDID).
Correct on all above. TBH I was not 100% sure whether or not I should have the ID in the app. I chose to leave it in there in case it was needed. But if it's not needed then we can easily push an update to remove it. So far on our Kaleidescape player we leave that setting blank.

Correct on all above. TBH I was not 100% sure whether or not I should have the ID in the app. I chose to leave it in there in case it was needed. But if it's not needed then we can easily push an update to remove it. So far on our Kaleidescape player we leave that setting blank.
What platform is your plugin running on? If it supports either mDNS or SSDP, your plugin could be programmed to auto-discover any Kaleidescape servers that are present on the network and then just let the user choose their server from a dropdown box (perhaps with an option to enter the IP address directly "just in case").

For mDNS, Kaleidescape servers advertise themselves using "my-kaleidescape.local".

For SSDP, you can scan the network for devices with a manufacturer of "Kaleidescape, Inc." and a model name of "Terra Prime", "Terra", "Strato", or "Alto". From there, you could extract the device's serial number and IP address.

It gets a bit more complicated in multi-server systems (since you want to connect and communicate with the primary server in the group).

If this is of any interest and you want to discuss this more in-depth, PM me and we can take this offline.

What platform is your plugin running on? If it supports either mDNS or SSDP, your plugin could be programmed to auto-discover any Kaleidescape servers that are present on the network and then just let the user choose their server from a dropdown box (perhaps with an option to enter the IP address directly "just in case").

For mDNS, Kaleidescape servers advertise themselves using "my-kaleidescape.local".

For SSDP, you can scan the network for devices with a manufacturer of "Kaleidescape, Inc." and a model name of "Terra Prime", "Terra", "Strato", or "Alto". From there, you could extract the device's serial number and IP address.

It gets a bit more complicated in multi-server systems (since you want to connect and communicate with the primary server in the group).

If this is of any interest and you want to discuss this more in-depth, PM me and we can take this offline.
John...yes! Your help would be wonderful. I'm short for time right now but I would like to pick your brain and maybe have my dev in on all our discussions.

John...yes! Your help would be wonderful. I'm short for time right now but I would like to pick your brain and maybe have my dev in on all our discussions.
Any time. Just send me a PM with your contact information and we can get a discussion going.

Back