• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Different versions in different countries?

Davehumpho

Can anyone tell me why there are different versions of same movie in different countries?
For instance, Back to the Future movies. In US store is UHD, Dolby ATMOS but in Canada store its HD With DTS HD.
Are we not entitled to the best versions of movies in Canada too?

I do have my answer to this one now and had I known a few weeks ago what i know now, I think I might decision on whether to invest or not might have been different.
It appears that the quality of the content through Kaleidescape Movie Stores varies between the regional stores, so better versions of movies can be available outside of your regional store.
Everything I had seen or read about Kaleidescape before purchasing, suggested that it was THE BEST quality available. Kaleidescape: The Ultimate Movie Platform.
Dealing directly with movie studios to ensure that consumers get the very best possible movie viewing experience from the very best source? I did not see the part where they advise, unless your in the wrong postal code.
For something as expensive as this is to get into, I find this shocking, as well as Kaleidescape support, no apologies, no sorry for any confusion, sorry our advertising statements are misleading, just the statement, content creators provide the content and the region details.
Its a don't blame us, its not our fault.

Kaleidescape. Do a better job for all of your customers or as recognition in failing to get the best versions for all of your customers, where the best version cannot be provided in a specific region, give the movies out in their inferior versions very cheaply until you can secure a better version.
Its pretty insulting being asked to pay the same price.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has this been spoken about before? As mentioned I am new to the platform and its not a great start for me.

Back to the Future had a recent update that inadvertently unlinked the 4K versions, but that has been fixed according to what I was told, and should be available again soon.

One other point that needs mentioning. Different movie studios have different rights on a country by country basis. Kaleidescape works to make sure we owners are offered the best possible version of a film that is licensed to their service by the owner's of the actual license, and because of international considerations this content may differ slightly from time to time, but K will always be looking to upgrade films if and when those upgrades are made available to their service.

If you think logically, instead of emotionally, why would they ever want to offer anything less than the best version of a film made available to them?? Not only is that in keeping with their goal to provide the best experience possible, but there's also more value in that model, and they are after all, a business. They regularly seek out the best version made available by the Licensors, and this is sometimes restricted by international considerations.

That all said, welcome to the Forum, and to Kaleidescape, I think over time you'll find it still offers the best possible experience in the industry. :)

Jim

Thanks, Jim! And thank you, Dave, for raising this issue. Your post brought this data error to our attention and allowed us to get it fixed.

I'm sorry that the issue wasn't recognized when you contacted our support team. They were correct that there are sometimes licensing differences between territories. However, the differences that exist between territories are typically an all-or-nothing situation. i.e., there will be cases where a movie is just unavailable in one of our store territories because of a difference in licensing, but it would be very unusual to have the movie available in different quality tiers in two territories. The only case I know of where that might happen would be in a rare case where the movie is distributed by different licensors in the two different countries (this does happen), and only one of the two licensors released 4K assets.

Offhand, I don't know of a case where that has actually happened, but in such a case, I would expect that the lower quality tier would also carry a lower price, as you suggested. The reason you saw the higher pricing for HD here was only because of the data error that unlinked the 4K versions.

I did just check, by the way, and it looks like the 4K assets are re-linked and available in Canada now.

Thanks again, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions. For content-related questions specifically, you're welcome to email movies@kaleidescape.com

I do have my answer to this one now and had I known a few weeks ago what i know now, I think I might decision on whether to invest or not might have been different.
It appears that the quality of the content through Kaleidescape Movie Stores varies between the regional stores, so better versions of movies can be available outside of your regional store.
Everything I had seen or read about Kaleidescape before purchasing, suggested that it was THE BEST quality available. Kaleidescape: The Ultimate Movie Platform.
Dealing directly with movie studios to ensure that consumers get the very best possible movie viewing experience from the very best source? I did not see the part where they advise, unless your in the wrong postal code.
For something as expensive as this is to get into, I find this shocking, as well as Kaleidescape support, no apologies, no sorry for any confusion, sorry our advertising statements are misleading, just the statement, content creators provide the content and the region details.
Its a don't blame us, its not our fault.

Kaleidescape. Do a better job for all of your customers or as recognition in failing to get the best versions for all of your customers, where the best version cannot be provided in a specific region, give the movies out in their inferior versions very cheaply until you can secure a better version.
Its pretty insulting being asked to pay the same price.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has this been spoken about before? As mentioned I am new to the platform and its not a great start for me.
I hear your pain! Keep in mind that while K does not officially sanction this, it IS possible to make purchases from stores of other countries. (And K store isn't the only online retailer at the mercy of international copyright limitations. I prefer to listen to music (classical) in DSD/DSF formats and there is a Japanese store - e-onkyo - that makes a lot of these available, but only in Japan. I manage to get around the restrictions and purchase these downloads from the US. But this retailer is also limited to what their vendors tell them they are allowed to do, and it's not unique to K.)

[...]

Offhand, I don't know of a case where that has actually happened, but in such a case, I would expect that the lower quality tier would also carry a lower price, as you suggested. The reason you saw the higher pricing for HD here was only because of the data error that unlinked the 4K versions.

[...]

Dune (1984) is available in HDR in the UK store, but it's only available in HD in the US store. The UK version is more expensive, however.

Not 4K, but I just noticed The Witches of Eastwick is available in HD in the UK, but only SD in the US and CA.

Give me "Death Becomes Her" in HD!
I was thinking the same the other day. Pioneer Japan created an HD master back in the May of 1995. I believe Shout did a remaster in early 2016. I guess the sales aren’t there.

I was thinking the same the other day. Pioneer Japan created an HD master back in the May of 1995. I believe Shout did a remaster in early 2016. I guess the sales aren’t there.
Amazon has it in HD for streaming and digital purchase. So it's out there!

Back