• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Did I screw up? Replicating from old 5U to new 1U

Janthkin

I may have screwed up. I picked up a new 1U 10 days ago, via Ksape's upgrade program, when one of my 2 old 5U servers died. What I want to do is replicate from my old 5U to the new 1U (including all of my previously-imported DVDs), and keep the 5U powered down, as it is an energy hog and it's getting pretty old in some components.

So, it's 2 questions:
1) Can I replicate from a legacy 5U to a new 1U?
2) Can I import DVDs to a new 1U, so long as it's part of a legacy system?

I *thought* I could add a new server to my existing (grandfathered) system in this fashion. Was I wrong?

I may have screwed up. I picked up a new 1U 10 days ago, via Ksape's upgrade program, when one of my 2 old 5U servers died. What I want to do is replicate from my old 5U to the new 1U (including all of my previously-imported DVDs), and keep the 5U powered down, as it is an energy hog and it's getting pretty old in some components.

So, it's 2 questions:
1) Can I replicate from a legacy 5U to a new 1U?
2) Can I import DVDs to a new 1U, so long as it's part of a legacy system?

I *thought* I could add a new server to my existing (grandfathered) system in this fashion. Was I wrong?

1. Yes. You can replicate content from a 5U to a 1U.
2. Yes. If the 1U is added to an existing, grandfathered system then you will be able to import DVDs to it.

Thanks John - panicky moment there.

When I put the 1U into the existing system with the 5U, I (obviously) can't replicate - the source & destination have to be in different systems.

When I put the 1U into a new system, I get "can't import copy protected content" messages in the replication progress window.

When I put the 5U into a new system, I lose the replication option entirely.

When I put the 1U into the existing system with the 5U, I (obviously) can't replicate - the source & destination have to be in different systems.

When I put the 1U into a new system, I get "can't import copy protected content" messages in the replication progress window.

Typically as part of the automated process of the upgrade, the rights to import DVD's would transfer upon shipment. Occasionally this needs to be done manually (as does enabling replication).

Based on your experience I would say that the rights from your failed 5U have not transferred to the new 1U as they should as part of the upgrade program. Unfortunately, without the assistance of someone in support or someone at Kaleidescape capable of doing then the process will not work with the hardware that you have.

IF you can get another 5U server temporarily, group the working 5U with the new 1U. The 1U will inherit the rights of your working 5U. Then replicate from the borrowed 5U using your disk set (Which would have to have replication enabled by the dealer of the borrowed 5U) to the group of your old 5U and the new 1U.
You would need to keep the working 5U on and grouped with the 1U to playback content but at least you would have access to all your content.

If support at Kaleidescape returns the process can be made simpler but the complex process as outlined above is the only process I can think of which MAY work in the event that Kaleidescape does not open service or support in any meaningful way.

Yep. That's a bit of a sticky wicket there.

The 1U server is not grandfathered so it only inherits grandfather status when grouped with the 5U. And when the 5U is put into a different system then the replication bit isn't enabled on it. Normally, a quick call to Support would be able to clear this up for you but alas...

I *think* dealers have the ability to enable replication on systems but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

If you PM me the serial numbers of the servers you are trying to replicate to/from and the contact email that your existing system is activated under, I can try reaching out to one of the people who are keeping the lights on at K to see if they can help. I'm not promising that I can get anywhere with this but I'll try.

Back