• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Deepwater Horizon Dolby Atmos

The store indicates this movies has Atmos, are we saying that it doesn't and the audio info on the store is incorrect? I want to purchase but I'll go buy the disk if it's wrong in the store.

It didn't earlier! I just checked it yesterday. Also, I played some of it and it didn't have the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Maybe they just updated? So, guess I need to re-download! Maybe a mistake was made. Thanks.

Yes, it just got updated. I just downloaded again and now have Dolby Atmos.

John

Did you have to delete the previous version from your system and then download or can you just re download and it will overwrite the movie? Thanks.

NOTE TO MIKE KOBB, KALEIDESCAPE

Mike - I also had the older non-Atoms version of Deepwater Horizon, and this has happened to me with several other titles.

It's awesome that Kaleidescape updates movies with the best possible features when they become available, such as better versions of the soundtrack!

But, I implore you to pass it on that it would be nice to notify customers who have purchased previous versions, when those updates are available.

Thanks!

NOTE TO MIKE KOBB, KALEIDESCAPE

Mike - I also had the older non-Atoms version of Deepwater Horizon, and this has happened to me with several other titles.

It's awesome that Kaleidescape updates movies with the best possible features when they become available, such as better versions of the soundtrack!

But, I implore you to pass it on that it would be nice to notify customers who have purchased previous versions, when those updates are available.

Thanks!

See this response to this question raised recently

http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22616&postcount=11

Did you have to delete the previous version from your system and then download or can you just re download and it will overwrite the movie? Thanks.

Yes, deleted it.

John

Last edited:
That's a lot of wasted bandwidth for K. Seems to have happened several times. Hopefully they can get the Atmos tracks right off the bat in the future.

Since K added to capability for pre-order, we have had a number of titles that have been released with 5.1 sound that are later updated with Dolby Atmos. I have only looked at HD titles and not UHD titles (which seem to have a different set of issues).

When I research these titles I see that 1) the initial streaming releases occur earlier than the disc releases and 2) they all seem to have only have 5.1 sound on this initial release (when I check on Vudu). These titles are then updated to Dolby Atmos at a later date once the BR discs are released.

This is pure speculation on my part (but I think it is educated speculation) but I think Kaleidescape is having to trade off early release versus waiting for a version that has the updated sound (from the studios). It seems very reasonable to me to release early with the 5.1 sound and then come back and update to Dolby Atmos once it is available. This way K satisfies the calls for release at the same time as Vudu and eventually having the highest sound quality.

When I just look at HD releases, I have not found any titles that are available on BR disc with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. If anyone has seen any HD titles that have 3D sound on BR disc but not on the store, then please comment.

John

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense, but frankly I would somehow indicate "will be upgraded on X date to Dolby Atmos when available" or something... I would wait to download only once vs. double dipping ISP gigs... SJ

Howdy folks. First of all, just to confirm the posting that steelman quoted, the notification of updates is something we're looking to improve.

Also, by way of explanation -- as we've written before, we are delivering content in a form that no other online retailer is attempting, and as a result we have unique processes and requirements to get that content onto the Movie Store.

Depending upon the title, and depending upon the studio, sometimes we are not able to get certain features (e.g. a Dolby Atmos soundtrack) in time to include them when we launch a title. This is most common when titles are released for electronic sales "early" compared to sales on disc.

We have chosen to go ahead and release these titles as early as we can, with soundtracks that are still excellent, lossless multichannel soundtracks, because we know many people will want to see them as soon as possible. (Plus, of course, there are plenty of people who don't yet have systems that can play Dolby Atmos anyway.)

In keeping with our aim to deliver the best quality available, we do update titles to add Dolby Atmos when we're able to get the necessary source materials.

Clearly, we'd love to be able to deliver these movies out of the gate with the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, and I hope that will come to pass in time, but for now this is how things are.

I hope this explains a bit!

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the update/explanation.

John

If you have the ability to watch this in Atmos I HIGHLY suggest it. Deepwater has one of the most engaging Atmos tracks I've heard to date. I did a review of the UHD version, though the soundtrack and timestamps should be the same. Some terrific demo fodder here!
http://www.residentialsystems.com/blogentry/1317
Best,
John

Howdy folks. First of all, just to confirm the posting that steelman quoted, the notification of updates is something we're looking to improve.

Also, by way of explanation -- as we've written before, we are delivering content in a form that no other online retailer is attempting, and as a result we have unique processes and requirements to get that content onto the Movie Store.

Depending upon the title, and depending upon the studio, sometimes we are not able to get certain features (e.g. a Dolby Atmos soundtrack) in time to include them when we launch a title. This is most common when titles are released for electronic sales "early" compared to sales on disc.

We have chosen to go ahead and release these titles as early as we can, with soundtracks that are still excellent, lossless multichannel soundtracks, because we know many people will want to see them as soon as possible. (Plus, of course, there are plenty of people who don't yet have systems that can play Dolby Atmos anyway.)

In keeping with our aim to deliver the best quality available, we do update titles to add Dolby Atmos when we're able to get the necessary source materials.

Clearly, we'd love to be able to deliver these movies out of the gate with the Dolby Atmos soundtrack, and I hope that will come to pass in time, but for now this is how things are.

I hope this explains a bit!

Looking to revisit this post and wondered if you are in a position to provide an update. There have been improvements to the delivery of titles with 'full' audio/video content. However despite your hope that titles (that hadn't had immersive audio included on release) would be updated, there is an ever growing list of titles (http://www.kscapeowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3054) that would suggest this isn't being revisited. Is this an issue with the assets not being provided by the distributor, or some other problem.

Sadly I don't know much about the work process, so perhaps you could provide some insight eg: are you provided with "raw" material which you then encode to a propietary format for storage/playback.

Just curiosity on my part - feel free to tell me it's none of my business :)

Back