• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Curses, you convenient Disc-to-Digital program!

kcl

Ok, a tongue-in-cheek thread title, but here's the story: For a few years now I've been considering moving to Kaleidescape from my home-grown media server, but with 1300+ movies it was hard to justify. The new Disc-to-Digital program changed that, and I decided now was the time. So figuring the 'larger' 22TB Compact Terra server would nicely fit my needs, I picked one up that was delivered on April 25.

Boy, was I ever wrong. The Disc-to-Digital program was so convenient, robust, and relatively inexpensive, that I filled up my 22TB server IN TWO WEEKS! So, with a big sigh, I bit the bullet and ordered the 48TB Terra server I should have in the first place. I received it on 5/15, and after 50+ hours replicating the 22TB server and the final D2D downloads, my system is finally set up.

Now I get to sell the Compact Terra 22TB server after 'outgrowing' it in less than a month. Sigh. (I wonder if that's some kind of record?)

I feel ya! I bought a 6TB server planning to just delete/redownload as needed. 1 month in and thinking I should have gone with the 22! Although, I still refuse to pay that much for what is essentially storage.

I get 5 GBPS fiber to my house, so it would be great if Kscape would either allow lossless streaming or downloads over 1gbps. I guess it would be a big hit to what I assume is a very high margin product with their servers though.

So, with a big sigh, I bit the bullet and ordered the 48TB Terra server I should have in the first place. I received it on 5/15, and after 50+ hours replicating the 22TB server and the final D2D downloads, my system is finally set up.
Now that you've settled, is the glass half full or barely empty enough?

Now that you've settled, is the glass half full or barely empty enough?
When done I ended up using a little under 25tb, so I guess I’m in the glass a little over half-full state. ;)
(Which I’m good with, btw, as that includes almost all the 4K, HDR, and Blu-ray’s I cared about.)

I started with an Alto 4TB (now a 6TB) and then a Terra 40 with Strato C, and they're almost full, in about 8 months.
I would just keep the 22 and ADD that 48TB. Trust me ;-)

Started with a Strato 6TB, now have a Premiere 3U with 72TB and a Terra with 72TB.

Started with a Strato 6TB, now have a Premiere 3U with 72TB and a Terra with 72TB.
If they are anything close to being full then choosing a movie to watch must be stressful :)

I think I suffer from the ‘must choose the best movie ‘available’ complex and back in the day I all but hated renting movies because I would have to check out every title in the shop to find the one(s) to rent. Used to take ages and had the extra pressure of finding good value rentals too as watching time and cash were limited back then. From a growing collection we are starting to get the same problem on K.

On a more serious note that perhaps deserves a separate post and better articulation I find the morphing covers screen cool visually but not a great way to choose a movie tbh. The list is far more effective but ‘a bit too dry’. Not sure what the answer is and perhaps will have to play with a photo editor. Anyway, just musing.

Back to the point, the problem with the collector tendency is that the choosing gets worse.

Now I get to sell the Compact Terra 22TB server after 'outgrowing' it in less than a month. Sigh. (I wonder if that's some kind of record?)

Oh yea, I called that once they announced the easier way to D2D. People will get the download bug and start shopping for bigger Terras! Hopefully it brings in new users as well.

I used to have enough Premiere and Encore storage to store my entire library (roughly 4000) but I couldn’t justify it anymore simply for that. Have now halved the hardware I own but the problem now is not being able to see what I have locally and what is still available.

This to me, as I’ve stated all over, is the biggest frustration; not being able to see an entire library regardless of media and download state. Surely that can’t be “that hard” to implement?

I used to have enough Premiere and Encore storage to store my entire library (roughly 4000) but I couldn’t justify it anymore simply for that. Have now halved the hardware I own but the problem now is not being able to see what I have locally and what is still available.

This to me, as I’ve stated all over, is the biggest frustration; not being able to see an entire library regardless of media and download state. Surely that can’t be “that hard” to implement?

I also wish that was an easy toggle on the system (not just on the computer)

-Show complete Kaleidescape library
-Show downloaded titles only
-Show titles not currently downloaded

Back