• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Curious if Vault will be lawsuit proof

ptrubey

I'm wondering what the legal minds here think about the likelihood that the vault solution will be robust enough to not engender legal challenges against it. I'm speculating about a potential future event here since the vault hasn't even been released yet and any legal challenges would occur after release.

While we lawyers often say "reasonable minds may differ," I do not see how the vault system would be challenged. I say "would" intentionally, because it certainly "could" be (as is the case with ANY issue). If challenged, I suspect it would be based on the "persistant copy" concern, but this is a weak argument in my view as the underlying technology addresses the content owner's requirement that the physical disk be present during playback, Obviously, their objective is to prevent multiple copies of the same disk from entering their marketplace. The vault system accomplishes this goal. The "copy" on the Server is useless without the physical disk also being present in the vault.

The above is a "general" view and does not address the detailed language (always important!) contained in licenses and contracts that currently exist.

Jim

Right. Without the details its impossible for us to know, but we can speculate in the interest of fun discussion among enthusiasts. In that case, I agree with Jim.

I doubt the vault really contributes too much toward being lawsuit "proof." Even without getting into the thornier fair-use/place-shifting debate, the studios can still B&M about how the system allows for multiple streams of the same title. Though, for better or worse, that's something K could easily squash via software update.

I think they would be hard pressed to show any damages from Kaleidescape's vault system.

Right- theres always the "I don't like your tie" type lawsuit- and then theres the one that's legitimate.

Back