• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Criterion Collection

Steve Bruzonsky

Does Kaleidescape carry any Criterion Collection blu ray or 4k titles?

I'm asking because later this month they are coming out with both a new blu ray and 4k HDR discs of The Band's "The Last Waltz". The KScape store does have MGM's "The Last Waltz" in HD quality (it came out in blu ray) and wondering whether it might get the new 4k HDR version from the Criterion Collection.

No Kaleidescape does not have Criterion Collection titles. Mainly this is because Criterion only does disc releases (and not digital releases) as authorized by the owning studio/production company. In the particular case of “The Last Waltz“, all the digital rights are owned by MGM and MGM would need to do the digital release or authorize a distribution partner to generate and release on digital platforms.

John

I wonder if MGM could do a digital release of the criterion 4K HDR version? They’ve already done a digital release of the Blu-ray disc and a digital version which is in the Kaleidescape store!

That is the question. Also, the Criterion release of ”The Last Waltz” is still DTS-HD MA 5.1 - no Dolby Atmos.

John

No Kaleidescape does not have Criterion Collection titles. Mainly this is because Criterion only does disc releases (and not digital releases) as authorized by the owning studio/production company. In the particular case of “The Last Waltz“, all the digital rights are owned by MGM and MGM would need to do the digital release or authorize a distribution partner to generate and release on digital platforms.

John

Criterion does do digital releases as well. They sell on iTunes (~38 titles) and I think a few other retailers. You’re right that they don’t have digital rights to all the physical discs they put out, but they do for some movies.

They’re pretty similar to Shout Facory in that regard, in that Shout has many more physical discs than they offer on digital stores for download, including the KScape store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this update.

I have to admit that I am only tracking 4K releases. As far as I can tell there are not any Criterion Collection 4K titles available on any of the streaming services. But I may have missed some. Have you seen any 4K titles released on iTunes or Vudu?

John

Back