• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cost of upgrade in U.K. Are Kaleidescape trying to price out the premier line

nrwatson

I have been a Kaleidescape user for over four years and very happy
I have now filled up my two 1U servers and was looking to upgrade the capacity and have been quoted over 5000£ for upgrading the one server
Is this correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no existing drive upgrade Promo currently in place. You would have to purchase a new 1U with the largest available drives (6TB), but it would be discounted when you return the old 1U with smaller drives. Obviously, you would need to keep the old 1U to Replicate your content before returning it to K, so K collects a deposit on that 1U from your dealer, and this is returned after K confirms receipt of the returned 1U. There are conditions that must be met in order to get the deposit back (basically 1U must be in working order and in reasonably good cosmetic condition. Your dealer can explain more.)

K's not trying to "price out" the Premiere line, the higher cost is partly based on the fact that you now have to buy the new Server, not just the drives (it's been like this for quite awhile and is not related to the recent temporary shutdown). Your dealer also determines the actual cost to you, so that can be a factor as well.

Jim

There is no existing drive upgrade Promo currently in place. You would have to purchase a new 1U with the largest available drives (6TB), but it would be discounted when you return the old 1U with smaller drives. Obviously, you would need to keep the old 1U to Replicate your content before returning it to K, so K collects a deposit on that 1U from your dealer, and this is returned after K confirms receipt of the returned 1U. There are conditions that must be met in order to get the deposit back (basically 1U must be in working order and in reasonably good cosmetic condition. Your dealer can explain more.)

K's not trying to "price out" the Premiere line, the higher cost is partly based on the fact that you now have to buy the new Server, not just the drives (it's been like this for quite awhile and is not related to the recent temporary shutdown). Your dealer also determines the actual cost to you, so that can be a factor as well.

Jim

My server is fine previously they provided the drives and you upgraded them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Understood, but that's not the case anymore. If you want larger drives there are only Three options: Buy a new Server with larger drives using the current Promo as described above; or, purchase larger drives and intentionally fail and replace one drive at a time (not recommended by K because of the added stress it places on other drives accessed for KRAID purposes); or, purchase new larger drives and borrow a Server to use to Replicate your content to the new larger drives, then swap the old drives for the new drives. To use this last option requires the new drives you order must have a file system installed before shipping from K, and both Servers (yours and the borrowed server) must not contain any other drives (i.e. must be empty).

The last few 1U (and 3U) upgrades we processed in order to gain additional storage all involved the process I described above in my first response, and yes, the client's were sending back working Servers.

The old promo was:
1. You purchased only the new larger drives, not a new Server.
2. K would ship those new drives to you in a remanufactured Server.
3. You would Replicate your content to the new drives in the remanufactured Server.
4. You would return your old Server with the smaller drives to K.
5. A deposit collected up front would be returned when K received the old Server.

That Promo no longer exists, and is not coming back, leaving only the two options described above.

Jim

Last edited:
Good read, I missed the Two Server comment in the original post, and of course you're correct!:)

Jim

Would I just remove the disks from one server and then replace them with the bigger ones copy the files across and then replace the disks after I have copied them
Thanks Neale

Yes Neale, that's correct.

1. Order the minimum number of drives needed to store the content you plan to Replicate (and additional storage for future imports). Be sure to request these new larger drives include a File System.

2. Remove ALL of the drives from one of your 1U's.

3. Install the new larger drives.

4. Use the other Server to Replicate selected content to the new drives.

You can Replicate the content from that other Server, and if needed, remove all of those drives after Replication, then install ALL of the drives you removed from the first server and Replicate that content as well. As long as you keep your drive sets together (don't mix drives from the Two Servers), they can be placed in either Server.

Jim

Important step 1.5: power-off the server where you are installing the destination drives (preferably unplug)

Back