• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Concerned about the longevity of the Server.

What? That’s crazy. Wow, this company is really digging itself into the grave.
How insane is that? Imagine if Apple said “sorry, we won’t replace the HD in your MacBook, buy a new one”.
(And before you think that Apple products can’t be repaired, of course they can. Take your MacBook into an Apple Store and they will replace the HD, screen, etc.)

What? That’s crazy. Wow, this company is really digging itself into the grave.
How insane is that? Imagine if Apple said “sorry, we won’t replace the HD in your MacBook, buy a new one”.
(And before you think that Apple products can’t be repaired, of course they can. Take your MacBook into an Apple Store and they will replace the HD, screen, etc.)
Not always the case. Apple has a massive vintage and obsolete product list. Apple products are added to the vintage list typically 5 years after of discontinuation or 7 years from purchase date. Apple doesn’t offer repairs or parts for these products.

In additions, nearly all of the Apple products from the last 5 years have mainly integrated and soldered in parts such as integrated or soldered in ram and ssd to the logic board which makes it near impossible for DIY repairs. Try replacing the logic board, it cost %80 of the cost of the Macbook.

Kaleidescape offers 5 year warranty free of charge (compared to 1 year on Apple) and discounts or movie credit after warranty replacement. I think this is one step ahead of Apple.

I think the most recent comments might have jumped around a bit. This is my understanding based upon numerous posts:

Players with integrated drives and Compact Terras do not support drive replacement. However, K does offer drive replacement kits for full-size Terras. If you are under warranty, this kit is free. If not, you have to buy it. Therefore, a full-size Terra is a safer investment than a compact or integrated player.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I think the most recent comments might have jumped around a bit. This is my understanding based upon numerous posts:

Players with integrated drives and Compact Terras do not support drive replacement. However, K does offer drive replacement kits for full-size Terras. If you are under warranty, this kit is free. If not, you have to buy it. Therefore, a full-size Terra is a safer investment than a compact or integrated player.

What about for a Strato?
I'm sure there's a way to hack it so a replacement HD can be installed.

I would love to know the answer to this and sorry for spreading misinformation about the full size Terras.

But won’t K-scape sell owners a new hard drive? How much does it cost?

Full sized Terra servers (not the compacts) have field replaceable drives, and replacement drives can be purchased from K if OOW (obviously in-warranty drive failures are replaced at no cost). Compact Terra server drives are NOT field replaceable, they must be returned to K for drive replacement. Under current policy, in-warranty Compact Terra's are replaced by RMA when a drive fails. The replacements are either remanufactured (-R), or new if no -R's are available. When a Compact Terra is OOW, the only option is to accept a discount for a new Terra, and return the defective Terra to K.

Jim

My concern with the drives is less them failing, hard drives fail, it just happens. what worries me is how long after K stops selling Terra will they still have replacement drives? I have three Cinema Ones, one with a totally failed drive, one with a drive I have been nursing and one that works fine. K no longer has drives for these, so one is at this point a door stop, with a second almost a door stop. How many years did they continue to have drives and parts for these?

Back