• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema One Question re downloading movies from store

k3nnis

Hi All,

About to purchase a Cinema One, was wondering can we purchase movies from the store with this device? Is the purchase done via a computer with a web browser? Or do we purchase it via the GUI on the Cinema One?

Thanks.
K.

You can definitely purchase and download movies from the Kaleidescape Movie Store to a Cinema One. Purchasing would be done via a web browser on your PC or using the Kaleidescape Mobile app.

Assuming you are referring to a Cinema One (2nd Gen), then you would be limited to downloading movies in DVD or Blu-ray Quality. However, I recommend purchasing the UHD versions (often it's all the same price anyway). That way, should you ever upgrade to an Encore system in the future, your library will already have the higher quality version available to you.

You can definitely purchase and download movies from the Kaleidescape Movie Store to a Cinema One. Purchasing would be done via a web browser on your PC or using the Kaleidescape Mobile app.

Assuming you are referring to a Cinema One (2nd Gen), then you would be limited to downloading movies in DVD or Blu-ray Quality. However, I recommend purchasing the UHD versions (often it's all the same price anyway). That way, should you ever upgrade to an Encore system in the future, your library will already have the higher quality version available to you.
Thanks for the info and tips. Yes referring to 2nd gen. Is the video quality of the blu ray Downloads and disk playback as good as say an oppo blu ray player? Is it a sigma designs chipset for video? And would you know what dac does it have for audio playback?

I have the cinema one in standby, but it seems the download speed is slow even though I have a 100Mbps internet connection.
In the store it says this:
Download speed is currently being reduced because your system is in use. Download speed will return to normal automatically when your system becomes idle.
I have the C1 on standby so not doing anything except the download.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would just give it some time. It might just be doing some background processing or there’s a delay between going to standby and the downloads speeding up.

Keep in mind that the C1 won’t download all that fast anyway. If I remember right, it should get somewhere around 60-80mbps, so it will take at least an hour or so per HD title.

I would just give it some time. It might just be doing some background processing or there’s a delay between going to standby and the downloads speeding up.

Keep in mind that the C1 won’t download all that fast anyway. If I remember right, it should get somewhere around 60-80mbps, so it will take at least an hour or so per HD title.
Thanks. Yes I can see it’s around 60Mbps now.

Are the HD downloads higher quality than a HD blu ray disk?

In many (most?) cases, the HD download is identical to blu-ray discs. In fact, during the early days of the store, all of their content was sourced directly from disc, so they were bit-for-bit identical.

With the move to 4k content, K receives mezzanine files from the studios and does the encoding themselves. In this case, the bit rate of the 4K downloads can actually exceed the bit rate of 4K Blu-ray discs.

K doesn't publish all of those details, but I assume that they are also encoding some of their own HD content from mezzanine files. In that case, they aren't identical to blu-ray, since it's a different encode, but the quality is comparable.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to say that blu-ray disc and HD downloads are equivalent.

In many (most?) cases, the HD download is identical to blu-ray discs. In fact, during the early days of the store, all of their content was sourced directly from disc, so they were bit-for-bit identical.

With the move to 4k content, K receives mezzanine files from the studios and does the encoding themselves. In this case, the bit rate of the 4K downloads can actually exceed the bit rate of 4K Blu-ray discs.

K doesn't publish all of those details, but I assume that they are also encoding some of their own HD content from mezzanine files. In that case, they aren't identical to blu-ray, since it's a different encode, but the quality is comparable.

Anyway, that's a lot of words to say that blu-ray disc and HD downloads are equivalent.
Thanks for the explanation!

Not sure if such a list exists, but is there a way to see which movies has disc to digital option?

There's no official list anywhere, but I think almost movie has a disc to digital option now. The real question is how big will the discount be.

For example, with Disney titles, you will only save a couple bucks. It varies by studio and title, but many are only $4.92 to go from blu-ray disc to 4K in the store.

With your Cinema One, you can do disc to digital directly on the player's on screen display without importing or cataloging, so just pop in a disc and see what it offers.

There's no official list anywhere, but I think almost movie has a disc to digital option now. The real question is how big will the discount be.

For example, with Disney titles, you will only save a couple bucks. It varies by studio and title, but many are only $4.92 to go from blu-ray disc to 4K in the store.

With your Cinema One, you can do disc to digital directly on the player's on screen display without importing or cataloging, so just pop in a disc and see what it offers.
Thanks. I assume dvd to digital will be at a higher cost?

Yes, in most cases, the blu-ray will get you a better disc to digital price than the DVD.

Not sure if such a list exists, but is there a way to see which movies has disc to digital option?
No list, unless you catalog/import, and then it is under Manage > Digital Offers. However, if you pull the movie's profile page in the store website, it will list if there's a D2D option (bottom of the left-column, under the cover) available regardless of whether you own it.

No list, unless you catalog/import, and then it is under Manage > Digital Offers. However, if you pull the movie's profile page in the store website, it will list if there's a D2D option (bottom of the left-column, under the cover) available regardless of whether you own it.
Thanks for the info !

Both Atmos and DTS:X are supported as long as the Cinema One is configured for bitstream pass-through (and the downstream device supports Atmos and/or DTS:X).

Both Atmos and DTS:X are supported as long as the Cinema One is configured for bitstream pass-through (and the downstream device supports Atmos and/or DTS:X).
Thanks for confirming. Can downloaded and imported movies be shared between a C1 and an Alto?

Thanks for confirming. Can downloaded and imported movies be shared between a C1 and an Alto?
No.

Alto can only be grouped with other Encore devices (Alto, Strato, Strato S, Strato C, Terra, Terra Prime).

Cinema One can only be grouped with another Cinema One (and a Disc Vault).

You can Co-Star pair a Cinema One with a Strato in order to share access to the content on the Cinema One with your Encore system but that's not the same as grouping.

Last edited:
No.

Alto can only be grouped with other Encore devices (Alto, Strato, Strato S, Strato C, Terra, Terra Prime).

Cinema One can only be grouped with another Cinema One (and a Disc Vault).

You can Co-Star pair a Cinema One with a Strato in order to gain share access to the content on the Cinema One with your Encore system but that's not the same as grouping.
Thanks for the info!

Back