• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema One owners, what options are you considering?

PrimeGeek

Back in early 2014, I was ecstatic about my shiny new C1 2nd gen. I'd bought it direct from K and was happily downloading movies from the new store. I still marvel at all that it can do for the price that I paid. There was talk that this was the beginning of a new line and that more options would likely follow for nearline storage beyond the 2nd C1. I began saving for a DV700 for my small collection of 300ish movies. I also imported about 200 CDs and I downloaded movies like crazy from the store.

Today, the C1 has been orphaned. Nothing exists for music anymore, I can't buy a new C1 for expansion and nothing from the Encore line is compatible. To make matters worse, I've just been told by K that the Alto's ability to play discs from a DV700 isn't something my C1 can do.

At first I thought going to Premiere was the best route for me. But Encore has me seriously doubting that move as a new purchase even though Jim's FAQ for Premiere is comforting for current owners.

C1 owners have no silver lining that I see. I'd love to be able to upgrade my 4 TB drive to a 6 TB like Premiere or connect to a Terra like Strato or expand to 4 players for 16 TB of storage like Alto or have options to keep my music integrated with my movies like....like???

As much as I loved my purchase a couple of years ago, and still love my C1, I feel unsure about moving forward with K. How do other C1 owners feel? What are you doing with your systems?

To make matters worse, I've just been told by K that the Alto's ability to play discs from a DV700 isn't something my C1 can do.

This is not completely accurate. Support for playback of discs from vault on a grandfathered Cinema One (2nd Generation) or Premiere line system is available but limited:

Any content on a Cinema One that is cataloged rather than imported can be played from the disc in a vault connected to the Cinema One. However, cataloging is only supported in certain circumstances on grandfathered systems:

A Blu-ray Disc can be cataloged by inserting it into the Cinema One's drive instead of the vault and selecting "Catalog Disc" from the detail sheet menu. Once cataloged, the Blu-ray Disc can be put into the vault and it will no be imported. When you play the movie, it will be played directly from the disc in the vault.

DVDs, however, do not normally have this option to catalog so they cannot be played from the vault the way Blu-ray Discs can. The exception to this is if you opt-in to Disney downloads on the store. If the Cinema One is opted in, then any Disney DVD that is blocked from being imported will have the "Catalog Disc" menu item and thus could be played from the vault using the procedure detailed above.

A Blu-ray Disc can be cataloged by inserting it into the Cinema One's drive instead of the vault and selecting "Catalog Disc" from the detail sheet menu. Once cataloged, the Blu-ray Disc can be put into the vault and it will no be imported. When you play the movie, it will be played directly from the disc in the vault.

When did this change? When the C1 first got the cataloging function, I tried this, but the disc vault still imported the disc.

With only 200 Blu-rays worth of storage, my vault is mostly empty. I'll have to try this again.

As for the original question, I have mixed feelings...

When the Alto first came out, I wasn't interested because it had more limitations than the C1. Now that the Encore line has expanded, I'm feeling left out. I knew the limitations of the C1 when I bought in, but I fully expected K to expand components/features. The C1 ended up being very short-lived.

On the plus side, K still has the best interface and video quality. As far as I know, nobody has a feature like Cinemascape, which I'm not willing to give up.

I would be willing to add a Terra server, but I'll have to wait and see what kind of trade-in options there are for the C1.

So, I just tried this again and this is NOT how my system behaves.

My disc vault will ALWAYS import the movie even if it has already been cataloged from a C1. The only exception is Disney content which is always cataloged. Is there any way to change this?

Personally, I would prefer the vault to import CDs and DVDs, but only catalog Blu-rays. I would like to save what little internal storage I have for store downloads and DVD imports.

This is not completely accurate. Support for playback of discs from vault on a grandfathered Cinema One (2nd Generation) or Premiere line system is available but limited:

Any content on a Cinema One that is cataloged rather than imported can be played from the disc in a vault connected to the Cinema One. However, cataloging is only supported in certain circumstances on grandfathered systems:

Thx! Two questions:

1. What happens when the internal drive on the C1 is nearly full? Does the C1 catalog instead?
  2. Is K considering an option for the C1 to catalog directly from the vault?

I agree. I'd like that option as well. I also agree with your previous comments about K having the best user interface. Although, for audio, I'm looking closely at moving to Roon. I'm worried that K is ending support for CDs and importing audio long term.

I have posted incorrect information in my response above.

The test that I conducted prior to making that post was flawed. I confirmed that I could catalog the disc from the local drive and then play it back from the disc in the vault. In doing this test, however, I initiated playback immediately after the disc was finished being identified in the vault which served to interrupt the import of the title. The disc was still actually queued for import and would have eventually been imported (as was experienced and reported by baltz above).

My apologies to you all for not getting all of my facts straight prior to responding and for posting misinformation.

Back