• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Cinema 1 upgrade?

I am just about to take delivery of a Cinema 1. My dealer has loaded 350 DVDs leaving space for around 40 BluRay discs. I probably have at least 40 discs in my collection, hence the unit would be stuffed full on delivery. So, should I upgrade to an additional Cinema1 + DV700 or should I consider just jumping straight to the premiere line i.e. 1U (4tb drives) + M700 which give greater storage potential albeit at a much much higher cost. The dealer points out the expandibility of the premiere line + the comfort of having a RAID system. I just do not know which way to jump as initially I doubt I would really notice the difference, it would be several years down the line before it may become an issue. Is reliabilty of the Cinema one an issue in the future + the lack of expandibilty.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Being a K dealer one would think our goal is to sell you the most expensive components in the K line, but that is not normally the case. A K system is best enjoyed when the components are matched to the needs/desires of the owner. Based on your comment about your current collection and future plans, it sounds like you might be fine with the second C1, and adding the DV700 will allow for more BR Playback options. I would only recommend moving to the Premiere line if your future collection plans warranted the upgrade, because with exception to the expanded storage capabilities, and RAID function, the actual K experience (the real value) is the same.

Your dealer likely recommended moving to the 1U after assessing your likelihood of running out of storage, and because he places a significant value in the RAID system (as do I).

Jim

I decided to stick with the Cinema 1 for the moment and see how it goes. So far it has been an excellent experience - enjoying movies I had forgotten about. Fantastic. I am now considering whether to add the second Cinema 1 and vault to allow me to store my blu-ray discs on the HD. At the moment I have cataloged my BR discs, and am in the process of downloading content form the store thanks to some credits that came with the system. As i will be using a single zone system where I can literally walk across the room and pop in the blu-ray to the C1 I am beginning to question whether I actually need the additional hardware...has anyone forgone the vault and ripping the BRs to disc in favour of a catalog only solution?

Back