• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Christopher Nolan 4K

OK, this is a strange one. The HD version definitely has the 1.78/2.20 switches in the movie (opening scene is 1.78). The HDR version does NOT. As far as I can tell it is the same aspect ratio throughout (says it is 2.35 and it is larger AR from HD version).

Early reviews for the 4K disc confirm mixed formats.

Not sure what is going on here.

John

OK, this is a strange one. The HD version definitely has the 1.78/2.20 switches in the movie (opening scene is 1.78). The HDR version does NOT. As far as I can tell it is the same aspect ratio throughout (says it is 2.35 and it is larger AR from HD version).

Early reviews for the 4K disc confirm mixed formats.

Not sure what is going on here.

John

The Kscape announcement email mentioned another 4k UHD coming later. I bet this will be the Imax 1.78/2.20 switch version.

E-mail announcement?? - must have missed that one!!

The Kscape Movie Store sent an email for Dunkirk release. The last line says " Available today in 4K HDR and HD. Coming Soon in 4k Ultra HD!".

So my guess is that there will be multiple versions with different aspect ratios once they get all the assets from Warner Bros.

The Kscape Movie Store sent an email for Dunkirk release. The last line says " Available today in 4K HDR and HD. Coming Soon in 4k Ultra HD!".

So my guess is that there will be multiple versions with different aspect ratios once they get all the assets from Warner Bros.

Mike has already confirmed the UHD version at a different thread.

"Yes, we will have both HDR and SDR versions of this movie available in 4K. Both versions are included with the 4K purchase, so you can download either or both, depending on what you need for your display devices."

In watching Life Of Pi in Imax, it takes 5 minutes to realize that the biggest enemy of hdr is cinemascope, the solution would be to adopt a 2.0 aspect ratio. Eventually this will come.

Can we please start a petition to eliminate cinemascope?:D

How come? Isn't one about dynamic range and the other just the aspect ratio used? I do think there comes a point when something is too wide- I don't know if Cinemascope is too wide though. I saw Last Jedi in IMAX 3D and it was very good. Not sure if I would have enjoyed it differently if it were in Cinemascope...

First of all, k co-promotions with sony nothwitstanging, BLUE LASER PROJECTORS cannot come close to p3 much less rec 2020, single projector hdr is a complete impossibility.

so projection pretty much is dead in th ehdr age. For 3d and 4k and now hdr wcg cinemascope is an appendix that feels in our ever increasing flatscreens as a kicj in the nuts. it should be abolished before 8k gets here, most filmakers agree BTW.

UNIVISIUM is the aspect ratio you get when you combine 2.39 and 1.77 the universal aspect ratio. For videowalls this is the ideal aspect ratio, i would give my pinky finger tip if kaleidescape could do with 2.0 the same thing they do with cinemascape.

Times a changing...

First of all, k co-promotions with sony nothwitstanging, BLUE LASER PROJECTORS cannot come close to p3 much less rec 2020, single projector hdr is a complete impossibility.

so projection pretty much is dead in th ehdr age. For 3d and 4k and now hdr wcg cinemascope is an appendix that feels in our ever increasing flatscreens as a kicj in the nuts. it should be abolished before 8k gets here, most filmakers agree BTW.

UNIVISIUM is the aspect ratio you get when you combine 2.39 and 1.77 the universal aspect ratio. For videowalls this is the ideal aspect ratio, i would give my pinky finger tip if kaleidescape could do with 2.0 the same thing they do with cinemascape.

Times a changing...

Single projector HDR isn't impossible, there are 2 manufacturers prepping for reveals towards the end of next year ;)

Vudu has BB and dark night i bet they pop by xmas. Now where is interstaellat Imax?:D

Rewording single projector SINGLE LINE ENGINE is impossible. LCOS dual light engine looks like crap. Sorry. Insufficient ANSI cr for natural looking hdr.

Projection is dead, put a fork in it.

Back