• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Changing Expirations

Transepoch

It's a good thing I was checking something that popped the purchase window over the weekend. Otherwise, I might not have known the expiration date on my existing movie credits had changed from 2020 to 1/1/2015 until after they had passed.

Not cool, changing the dates like that, without copious messages & notifications to the user. Hope anyone else still holding on to them is now alerted about the need to start looking for possible titles.

Mine said that as soon as I signed in to the Store, which was in the middle of November sometime. I wonder if they could be extended for circumstances like data caps, etc.? I had to stop downloading shortly after I started because my ISP capped my account at 350GB per month. I have since changed it, but that could be an issue for some.

Two points regarding the expirations:

1. The expiration date is controlled by contract, this is not an arbitrary K decision.

2. The expiration date is the end date for USING credits, it is NOT the end date for downloading the content. Credits are considered used when the order is placed and the movie is placed in your download section at the store. The credit expiration date has no affect on the download section, so the actual download speed does not matter. You can continue to download the movies you purchased with credit long after the credit expiration date.

Jim

Not that the expiration was arbitrary, but I would have thought that K would have jurisdiction/oversight of this, and be able to extend them in certain circumstances, but it sounds like that's not the case. I am curious as to why the OP's expiration date suddenly changed from some time in 2020, to the same as mine, 1Jan2015, especially if it is a contractual thing, as you mentioned.

My point about data caps was that I had to break up the utilization of the credits for my demo system into two segments, one in November and one this month, in order to not exceed the ISP's cap. In retrospect, I guess I could have queued up all 25 right away, and just paused them after my November cap ran out, so I see what you mean there. Also, once it's been downloaded once, you could delete and re-download as often as you like, of course. That seems to be the way some are managing their libraries vs available storage.

What Jim meant is that you don't have to download them at all (or ever,) to utilize the credits. Just make the purchase.

The announced expiration was always earlier than mine were showing, so I knew whatever providence granted a longer period could one day come to an end. It was just the gap from fixing the database to actively providing notifications I had issue with. Time for Warner (haw) to have a massive catalog update so I can use them on extras-possessing titles, rather than just burning on whatever shiny whimsy passes by.

Not that the expiration was arbitrary, but I would have thought that K would have jurisdiction/oversight of this, and be able to extend them in certain circumstances, but it sounds like that's not the case. I am curious as to why the OP's expiration date suddenly changed from some time in 2020, to the same as mine, 1Jan2015, especially if it is a contractual thing, as you mentioned.

My point about data caps was that I had to break up the utilization of the credits for my demo system into two segments, one in November and one this month, in order to not exceed the ISP's cap. In retrospect, I guess I could have queued up all 25 right away, and just paused them after my November cap ran out, so I see what you mean there. Also, once it's been downloaded once, you could delete and re-download as often as you like, of course. That seems to be the way some are managing their libraries vs available storage.

You can actually order a movie and when it goes to the next screen "uncheck" your server. Then you will purchase the movie without doing the download. This is a lot easier than starting a download and canceling or pausing the download. You can then download at a future date.

One thing I wish K had was this same capability when I do a "buy all" of a special promotion or sale.

John

As an aside, a message did go out over the weekend warning of impending credit expirations, so at least there does seem to be some degree of auto-notification. Who needs more than 10-days to be alerted to the need to make buying decisions anyway? :rolleyes:

Back