• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

PROBLEM DISC: Chalet Girl (Reg. B)

phcjpp

Hi,

Have imported the UK region B version of Chalet Girl into my M700 + 3u server but it gives an error when trying to play of 'This disk will only play on region B player'. I have region A and B players. The disk itself plays fine in my BR player. I already own hundreds of region B blu rays (living in UK) so no idea what is going on here. I would add the video bookmarks are missing.

Any suggestions ?

Ta
Chris

It will play once the movie has been bookmarked. You will need to send it in to Kaleidescape's movie data service. It is a little bit of an inconvenience but it is free and will then have the bookmarks.

Any reason why other BR's play quite happily without the video book marks (obviously you have the pain of BR menus to navigate) ?

Ta
Chris

Any reason why other BR's play quite happily without the video book marks (obviously you have the pain of BR menus to navigate) ?

The region code of the discs being played match the region code of the player they are being played on (or the discs are region-free).

I thought as long as you had at least one player from each BR region you were fine for this sort of thing. I did not know that if you were playing from the disk directly you could only play on a player with that BR region code. Is this really true ? If so the FAQ needs updating surely ?

Chris

The FAQ is accurate.:). Third sentence discussing BR region playback:

"Blu-Ray Discs played from the tray of an M500 Player must match the region code of the Player."

Jim

Hmm - so the M700 acts as the disc spinner for my diskless M300 but uses the region of the M300 to yes/no whether it will play the disc living (and ripped) in the M700. Once the disc is bookmarked however it uses the regions of all M players I have to decide if it will play? If thats right then that's really stupid! Why should bookmarking a disk determine whether it can play or not ?

Cheers
Chris

Not stupid really and keeping it simple the region encoding is on the header record and a player looks at the header record of the disk when it comes to playback (or copying to the k system in the case of a DVD) so when you select playback of the disk even if it has been copied to the K system it still reads the header record as on the k system it is held as an exact bit copy of the disk. After bookmarking the system has the option to jump to the bookmark point on the disk (file) if you select play movie thus it by-passes the header record hence the film starts straight away without all the preamble. If you select play disk rather than play movie you will still have the problem in that the bluray film will only play if the region of the player and the region of the disk match regardless if you have other region players on your system.

Back