• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CES Blu-Ray demonstration / detailed announcement?

Jerry, CInelife and Josh, thanks for the valuable advise. Both my wife and i always seem to go for the best to start for some reason so we had decided on the 3U server and have already allocated space in the system room for it.

Regarding bandwidth and distribution of the BR signals, my dealer and the B & O installers suggested CAT 6 throughout whilst cabling all the BeoLink cables etc. I have two Cat 6 cables going to each room connected to a patch panel in the system room, do you see a problem with this, if so, Huston we have a problem.

Lloyd.

Cat 6 is the way to go... though if you really want to go crazy you could run the new Cat 6a, but that's bleeding edge stuff for now unless you're building a commercial data center! Supposed to handle 10gbit, but my guess is you're more than fine with good Cat 6.

and having two lines to each room definitely gives you more flexibility with partioning your network for better performance. That way the Kscape devices could end up on their own switch, to segment that high-bandwidth traffic... and you still have a separate port in each room for PCs or other devices. Sounds like a good setup.

Some people (ok, me!) didn't think ahead like you and ran a single line to each room, only to find later that we needed a switch in the bedroom for the kscape, tivo, and a PC to all get to the net, which can have an effect on kscape performance. I wish I had two lines to each room, one becoming dedicated for kscape video, the other for general purpose stuff.

Agree with Josh, the Cat 6 is more than fine (half our older installs are on Cat 5e, without any issues). Two cables minimum is always recommended, especially on difficult runs. This allows for the expansion Josh noted as well as having a back up cable should one prove defective (which occasionally happens).

Jim

while running cat 6 is good... the gigabit standard needs only cat 5. so you are more than covered.

Yep- I have cat5e and it works fine. Even with the HD material. When we did the install we ran 2 pairs of everything just because they know me :). Cat 5e is a very versatile cable.

Just a thought, how far away from the 3U server can you install a Movie Player/Music player? my thinking is i have a games room with an office above it but its not connected to my main house and is around ft away, is this possible?

Lloyd, in my setup Im going from the server in my equipment room very short distance to a switch, then like 50' to where my home router and other switch are then on from there like 500' to my master bedroom. All with no problems. I did have the electrician run separate cat 5 so if I so decide I can create a K only network. I just have never plugged it all in- so right now everything is on the home network and we have zero issues.

Brilliant, with what i have in mind i will have to go under ground outside for around 75 ft, do you think this will be an issue Jerry?

I also want to have the ability to watch movies/music in both rooms so assume i will need to movie players!

Thanks and regards
Lloyd.

You can easily go that distance (and farther) and going underground is not a problem but you should ensure it is protected, perhaps with PVC piping.

Jim

I wouldn't advise it but Ive heard of people running the players via wi-fi or via power line adaptor.

For going underground, just lay a PVC pipe as a conduit (use gray pipe rather than white so in the distant future some gardner won't assume it is a water pipe). Cat5 ethernet can run up to 100 meters, or about 330 feet, so that length of run isn't a problem. I do it here underground about the same distance (100 feet). Use as big a conduit as you feel comfortable using - ie. don't go cheap with a little 1/2 inch PVC pipe as it is very likely you will want to run other cables in the conduit at some future date. To that end, pull a nylon string in the conduit when you pull the cat5 cable for future cable pulls. To do the initial wire pull, buy a 5 gal nylon string container that has about 6000' of string (home depot sells them in the electrical dept for conduit pulls). Get a plastic shopping bag and rip it up to make a little parachute and tie it to the nylon string and stuff this a little ways into the conduit. Go to the other end of the conduit with a shop vac and suck the conduit with it - in literally 1/2 second the little parachute and nylon strong will be sucked into the shop vac. Use that string as the initial pull wire, remembering to pull a new nylon string along with the cat5 cable.

I agree. PVC pipe is the way to go. Keep in mind that you'll want to use outdoor rated Cat 6 (or 5).

ok phil... that is friggin awesome! i had not heard that trick before... now i cant wait to run some pvc just to do that!!!

Seriously Jerry L! Every time I see a post on this thread I get excited... :(

Ends up it's just a bunch of guys talking about laying pipe... ;)

Well then, to that I can only say I sympathize and also I would point out- the more things change... boys and their toys.

Back