• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

CES 2014 and Kaleidescape

Calm-One

Ref:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...and-engineering-awards-honoree-235388911.html

With Kaleidescape winning this CES 2014 award, I imagine that Kaleidescape will be represented at the show more than usual for CES; perhaps even a new CEO mingling in the booth...

I would love to get to Vegas if flight cancellations here in Chicago were not so plentiful; nothing like getting a full season's worth of Winter in just 48 hours..

I hope others get to Vegas despite the weather. If you do can you post in this thread any new news or discussions?

If anyone can ask about any new players (UHD, HDMI 2.0, 3D capable), or larger storage HDDs (6TB), or an Android based applet it would be great to hear about the responses.

If anyone is bold enough to ask about the next studio to be signed that would also be great. I really wanted to ask how Prima Cinema has Universal Studios and Kaleidecape doesn't (see Prima Cinema thread on this forum).

I do hope that the company offers refreshed hardware within the mainline product versus Cinema One at the show (despite the award).

Cheers

Obviously the UHD and HDMI 2.0 would be needed together, and given the lack of available 4K content, coupled with K's usual cautious (some say slow) approach to supporting the latest tech advances, I wouldn't expect any announcements in this regard at CES (but it would be nice to be wrong:)). Similarly, 3D is probably being viewed as a low priority at K given the somewhat stagnant acceptance in the marketplace (but this "might" have a better chance of being supported).

I personally would welcome all of the above, and I do hope we eventually get that support (I've got three UHD displays and the 4K media box, along with 3D on just about all, including my theatre), but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Larger drives are always welcome, and given growing demand for BR quality, it would be nice to see them as soon as possible. The 6TB's do exist, but unfortunately are still untested long term (a major K requirement), and are currently VERY pricey (anyone want a $2,500 6TB????:eek:).

Jim

I would love to have the ability to watch shows on a local iPad...
I was at CES so I went by their "booth" (a table actually, shared in a room with some other higher-end brands) and asked them specifically about that... made a real plea for it.
I told them if I were in setting the priorities, the top three would be:
- more studios
- mobile viewing of your content... said streaming within home would be fine as a start, download and take-away content (like Tivo just enabled) would be a later hope
- fix the damn interface for integrating multiple seasons of TV-on-DVD discs. (as being discussed here)
after that, sure, UHD, 3D, native pass-through, etc. would be great. I realize many people here don't share that prioritization, and made it clear it was simply my view, not the aggregate view of the forum (though I bet we'd all agree on #1).

The team were very interested and spent probably 30-45 minutes with me... but of course they couldn't give me any indication if any of that were coming or not, or even if it were being worked on.

Wish I could say I got some great indications of awesome things coming. I didn't. They implied that they felt there was renewed energy at the company with the new executives coming on board, but couldn't/wouldn't say anything about future devices, software, features. They were very nice and complimentary about the forums and saying that many people there read these threads often... though only certain people are allowed to register and post anything here.

So it's worth expressing opinions here... though of course you should keep emailing Support with requests also.

--josh

Thanks for the field report; greatly appreciated!

I was at CES so I went by their "booth" (a table actually, shared in a room with some other higher-end brands) and asked them specifically about that... made a real plea for it.
I told them if I were in setting the priorities, the top three would be:
- more studios
- mobile viewing of your content... said streaming within home would be fine as a start, download and take-away content (like Tivo just enabled) would be a later hope
- fix the damn interface for integrating multiple seasons of TV-on-DVD discs. (as being discussed here)
after that, sure, UHD, 3D, native pass-through, etc. would be great. I realize many people here don't share that prioritization, and made it clear it was simply my view, not the aggregate view of the forum (though I bet we'd all agree on #1).

The team were very interested and spent probably 30-45 minutes with me... but of course they couldn't give me any indication if any of that were coming or not, or even if it were being worked on.

Wish I could say I got some great indications of awesome things coming. I didn't. They implied that they felt there was renewed energy at the company with the new executives coming on board, but couldn't/wouldn't say anything about future devices, software, features. They were very nice and complimentary about the forums and saying that many people there read these threads often... though only certain people are allowed to register and post anything here.

So it's worth expressing opinions here... though of course you should keep emailing Support with requests also.

--josh

As a follow-up, if it weren't obvious, they were only showing the new cinema one player, no "premier" equipment was anywhere to be seen, and the only "news" they talked about was the 50-free-movies deal on the C1. Wish I had something else to report...
Again, the people were very nice, but the news, display, and demos were underwhelming. I hope we get some news about new premiere-line upgrades in features or hardware soon, new studio supports... something.

Back