• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Catalogued DVDs in OSD

randman

I catalogued Blu-Ray and DVDs. The Kaleidescape D2D memo says:

"Cataloged DVDs will be displayed on a Strato player’s OSD in addition to appearing on the browser interface."

The memo also says that catalogued Blu-Rays won't show up in the Kaleidescape OSD (as desired).

I would prefer that catalogued DVDS also NOT show up in the Kaleidescape Movie Covers and List OSD, unless I've purchased them. Not only do catalogued DVDs show up in the Kaleidescape display, but say "Insert disc to play" even though the Strato C doesn't support playing discs.

So, is there any way to NOT display the catalogued (and not yet purchased) DVDs in the Kaleidescape OSD? They just clutter up the OSD and confuse other family members thinking that they can be played.

You can delete the dvd from the Kaleidescape browser interface after it’s been cataloged. It will be removed from the movie interface but still be ‘remembered’ by K for digital offers.

I just migrated between servers and verified this. Hope this helps!

Yep, that is the solution.

As a bit of background, the reason for the difference here is that if you were to connect a DV700 to your system, and place your DVDs into it, your Strato would be able to play those DVDs. The vault would load the desired DVD into the optical drive when playback is requested, and then the bits would be sent over the network to the Strato for playback.

The same functionality does not work for Blu-ray discs on Strato, because Strato does not have the necessary media playback engine for the very complex Blu-ray spec. So this is why Blu-ray discs, even if cataloged, are not shown.

Could this be added to the FAQ section of the KBA? I realize it is mentioned once in the instructions, but it might help to also have it emphasized and using an active voice (rather than "you can" to say "you should x-y-z to obtain your desired result.")

Thanks. I've removed my catalogued DVDs from a browser, which also stops them from showing up in the OSD. As mentioned, they still show up in Digital Offers, as desired.

Yes, it would be nice if the KBA (https://support.kaleidescape.com/article/Disc-to-Digital-Offers-Using-USB-Drive) explicitly mentioned what @tov5005 mentioned (i.e. removing the DVDs from the browser will also remove them from OSD but the Digital Offers will still be available).

Back