• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Capacity of Terra Vs. 3U with 6TB Drives

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I just checked out the specs on the new Terra server with 6TB drives:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/datasheets/Kaleidescape-Terra-Movie-Server.pdf

I then compared to a 3U server with 6TB drives:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/datasheets/Kaleidescape-3U-Server.pdf

When compare storage capacity for BR content, I get the following numbers (excluding 2 drives on the 3U that are used for RAID and hot spare):

Terra - 200 BR/6TB drive (24TB = 800 BR)
3U - 162.5 BR/6TB drive (36TB = 975 BR)

Is there a typo somewhere or is there really a difference between the two?

John

I was wondering the exact same thing having seen the Alto/Strato 6TB drive specs. 100 4k movies and 200BR when the 4tb Alto can hold 100BR?

Well, if the Terra can only download BR from the store, are they using a smaller size estimate for BR downloaded from the store? If so, does that mean we are getting something less than the actual disc, like not getting the extra content? (I rarely watch that except on my favorite films).

I feel like they are off on their numbers. I just bought a brand new Alto with the 4T drive in it. I got around 108 HD downloads on it. Granted some of them were extended edition movies which are a much bigger file size. But the thing is, there is no way that a 6T drive could get any more movies per Terabyte than a 4T drive. And an Alto is an Alto, so the 6T version couldn't possibly compress the movies any different.

Based on an average movie size of 35GB, a 6TB drive should be able to hold about 170 movies. My understanding is that the Terra does not use RAID, though you will lose a small amount to formatting. I would expect the 600 movie estimate to be about right if you throw in some extras and some longer movies. The marketing materials said 600 movies, not 200, unless my memory is off.

There is no storage capacity difference between a 6TB in a Terra, and one in a Premiere system, they will both import the same number of discs (but of course this varies based on the content being imported, some movies can be as low as 23GB, and some in the 50's, so obviously individual results will vary). This is more a change in marketing language, the estimates used in earlier marketing were a bit more conservative.

Jim

Expect to get between 150 and 200 BR movies on a 6TB, based on individual disc size variations.

Jim

Also remember these servers do not have raid so there is automatically more storage

In addition, the 36TB is only using the 8 x 6TB drive configuration when a 3U can have 14.

Expandable to fourteen disk cartridge for a maximum of 72TB of storage (about 1,950 Blu-ray quality or 10,800 DVD quality movies)

Yes, but that is straight doubling (975 BR @ 6 disks *2 = 1950 BR @ 12 disks, ignoring overhead,) so the size-per-movie ratios are the same. It would raise an interesting question of why the average is different between the 3U and TS, whether it was just an error (based on the 4Ts I would expect the 3U figure to be more accurate) or if there is such a strongly observed usage pattern established between owners of the two product lines.

There is no storage capacity difference between a 6TB in a Terra, and one in a Premiere system, they will both import the same number of discs (but of course this varies based on the content being imported, some movies can be as low as 23GB, and some in the 50's, so obviously individual results will vary). This is more a change in marketing language, the estimates used in earlier marketing were a bit more conservative.

Jim

I think this is the most reasoned, rational explanation for the marketed differences in the estimated capacity of the two systems. If we stop and think about it logically, a TB is a TB, regardless of whether it is housed in a Terra, a Premier 1U or 3U, or a PC. If you load the same movies on a 12TB Terra, a 3U with 5x4TB (or 4x6TB for that matter) and a 1U with 4x4TB (net 12TB) server, each will hold exactly the same movies, and be full at the same time.

Back