• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Canadian download store now open.

Kaleidescape has just announced the Canadian store is open for business.

Great news! I've upgraded 2 of my DVDs to BR quality with no issues thus far. I'll take a look at the video quality later tonight.

This will make it a lot easier for the titles so far available in the store. Here's hoping other studios jump on board soon!

Wayne:)

Kaleidescape has just announced the Canadian store is open for business.

This is great news. I have just tossed my 'Unsupported Territories' badge out the door! I do have a question for those with more experience with UV. I do not have a UV account/partner? And I have no experience with this process. Is there a recommended best practice i should follow to set up the UV repository. I have probably made a mess of a simple question but can someone suggest what I should do before I hit the 'update all' button?

Peter

PS I am in Canada.........I think.......

I do not have a UV account/partner? And I have no experience with this process. Is there a recommended best practice i should follow to set up the UV repository. I have probably made a mess of a simple question but can someone suggest what I should do before I hit the 'update all' button?

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Go to http://www.uvvu.com and sign up for an account. This is your "UltraViolet Locker" where all of your UV movies will be "checked-in".
2. (Optional but recommended) Go to http://www.flixster.com and create an account. Once you have created you can link this account to your UV account that you created above (Go to http://www.flixster.com/account/ and there is a sidebar on the right side where you can link your UV account). This is the website/mobile app that you use to stream and/or download your UV copies of movies to your mobile devices or computers.
3. In the Kaleidescape Store, you are given the opportunity to link a UV account when you first register. Link it to the account that you created in Step 1 above. If you didn't do that and you are already registered, go to https://store.kaleidescape.com/account/ultra_violet and click the "Link" button. When asked if you also want to create a Flixster account just click "I already have one" if you carried out step 2 above.

Now that you have linked a UV account, you will be able to take advantage of the upgrade pricing in the store. Any movies you purchase from the store that include UV rights will automatically be checked in to your UV locker and will appear in your movie collection on Flixster for streaming/download.

Hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any other questions about this process if you have them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. This is the kind of community response that makes my membership in this forum worth every Canadian penny......

Seriously thanks,

Peter

I have to admit that as a Canadian and living in an unsupported territory I was beginning to feel abandoned by the folks at Kaleidescape. I was pleased and surprised when the curtains pulled back and I was able to join the community of folks in the K Store. My experience with the first attempts to download was very positive on all fronts. The help I got here with the UV setup and the ease of choosing the movies for download worked well. I thought I might be ok with my existing internet service untill I checked in the next morning and got my first notice from my provider that I was about to hit my data cap for the month. My current arrangement is 375 Gigs at 60mbps. To their credit my cable provider gave me 75 mbps at times so downloading was a dream but that was only six movies so I have been looking around for an alternative. The only option I can find is a business account with the same provider which provides unlimited data at 60mbps. Bell Canada is bringing a new service to the market with unlimited at 175 mbps but is not available in my area. I am phoning my cable supplier on Monday to talk to the business folks about the new service. I tried to talk to the residential folks but they are not allowed to talk about the business side of the business. "we have to disconnect your residential internet access and then you can call the business internet access people to ask about service." This behaviour makes me wonder how these folks stay in business. I'm planning to upgrade most of my collection so I have to keep trying for a better arrangement. I must say that I think it is worth it based on my limited experience to date. Well done Kaleidescape.............now just go get some more studios on board!!!

Congrats to our Canadian friends!
It would be interesting to know how many titles are available in the Canadian (and US) stores. In the UK store, after 4 months of operation, there are only just over 400, with only a dozen or so having been added since launch. And inexplicably, titles like Cloud Atlas are only available in DVD quality...
Obviously there are different agreements for different territories.
I wonder whether the new Lionsgate deal applies to the UK and Canada...
J

The Canadian store has 1949 movies in total with 477 HD. There are only Warner with no Lionsgate yet. I suspect that the US will be the first jurisdiction to expand the collection if history repeats itself. Cloud Atlas was available in HD........it was one of the first movies I bought. Before the store opened I had never even looked at UV. I have to admit I decided to update to diskless and UV where available and the experience on the iPad was very acceptable. The general process of downloading a movie works well for me. I now have a 60 mbps download with an unlimited data cap. The download is always less than 2 hours including extras for HD material and some can be as short as an hour.
As far as flixter is concerned, performance has been spotty at best. When it isn't buffering the quality is great for streaming. I haven't downloaded any standard definition movies from the store as the experience of trying to watch any SD movie seems too degraded for my taste.

Peter

Back