• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Can we improve Strato S longevity with a Terra?

RobT

If I add a high capacity Terra as the server to a Strato S, will it significantly increase the S's longevity as a player if I delete the contents of its hard drive and re-download it all onto the Terra?

I’m not certain on the performance impact long term, but if you aren’t planning to leverage the added storage capability of the Strato S, it may be beneficial to resell it and pick up a Strato C along with the Terra. You’ll also get the full 5 year warranty on both components.

I’m not certain on the performance impact long term, but if you aren’t planning to leverage the added storage capability of the Strato S, it may be beneficial to resell it and pick up a Strato C along with the Terra. You’ll also get the full 5 year warranty on both components.
Exactly what I did. I originally had bought the Strato S 12 TB player along with a Terra server. Once I was able to experience just how much faster the Terra server would download movies, and not interrupt playing performances while also downloading, the functionality and price/TB supported the move from the Strato S to Strato C and concentrating on increases solely on Terra server storage space.

I can certainly appreciate the argument to sell the S in favour of a C, and it's one I meditate on regularly. My specific question though is whether what I want to do has any technical merit as a strategy.

I doubt that it will make an appreciable difference. Even if the drive in the Strato S were emptied of all content, it would still be spinning. And, since the system's content database is replicated across all components with storage, you will still be reading from and writing to the drive regularly.

Thanks for that. My impression had been that when there's a Terra and a Strato S on a system, downloads preferentially go to the Terra, but if I understand you correctly, the overall system acts more like a typical drive network and distributes the data across all drives?

Downloads go to the Terra until it's full. But the Strato's hard drive will still be spinning, and the system's databases are replicated across all components with storage. So the Strato would see less reading and writing compared to the Terra's drives, since you wouldn't be writing or reading content on that drive, but the system would be reading and writing database information on that drive regularly. And I think it's really more about the uptime of the drive, which would be the same as the Terra drives.

That makes sense, though I suppose the read/write for database content is minimal. So, on the one hand, the recommendation is to avoid powering down the unit to minimize premature wear, but on the other hand, drive spinning itself is a gradual source of aging. Bit of a conundrum that one. I wouldn't be nearly as preoccupied with this if it was a $600 Windows desktop.

Back