• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Can no longer play from M500 tray

MikeSVO

Hello all-

New user, long time K-scape installer/service guy here...

I have a customer who just called me to tell me that he can no longer play discs from the tray of his M500. I will be calling them about this on Monday, but I wanted to join up here to ask around, since this seems like a great place to keep up with K-Scape stuff.

His system: (2) M500's, a Vault and server. One of the M500's is dedicated to his media room, while the second is available to the other (4) displays in the house. The second can not be viewed from the media room, and the media room cannot view the first M500. It's always been that way.

He's from overseas, and he has a lot of region 2 stuff in his collection. So the shared M500 is set to region 1, and the Media Room M500 to region 2.

Now, what I can't really remember (since this was all installed about 5 years ago) is weather or not the region setting was for importing or playback, or both (I'll look at up too...EDIT - it looks like it's for importing, after which the movie can be played on any player). But I simply can not imagine that he has NEVER been able to play from the tray - he insists that he could, and I do believe it.

Checking the firmware version, I can see that it was updated to 6.3.1-17124 on May 8th. Could this update have caused this?

Thanks -

-Mike

Last edited:
Blu-ray discs can be imported by any M-class player that has import capability (an optical drive), Blu-ray Region is checked during Playback, not during import (as is true of DVDs), so in the setup you describe, both M500's can import any Blu-ray disc, and will playback any BR Region that exists on the M500's.

I doubt if the firmware update affected the M500, it is likely a bad optical drive. There is a service kit (SVC-KIT-0190) available for the M500's BD Optical Drive, it is $195 here in the U.S..

Jim

I forgot that I snapped this pic when I was onsite. The message says the disc is unrecognized, which you may be familiar with. I understand that this is an obscure disc, so the message shouldn't be too surprising, I guess, but what's weird is that it gives an option for playing the disc immediately, but the option is grayed out.

I would think that a bad optical drive wouldn't get that far, though I honestly don't know how it's failure mode would manifest itself.

I did put in a Blu-Ray of the movie Up to test the player. I selected the option to play from the tray, and it did work, however that particular movie had already been imported long ago - so maybe using that disc to test with wasn't a good idea. I tried to locate a Blu-Ray that hadn't been imported yet, but there were none available.

Thanks for the reply!

Edit - It's not upside down on my computer...WTF...

Attachments

• NoTrayForYou.jpg
    NoTrayForYou.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Your picture s.hows that you are trying to play a DVD. If that is the case, then DVD region codes are checked when importing. You need to import from the player that is the correct region. Once it is imported, it can play from any player. However, if you don't import and only want to play the disc, you can only do this from the player that matches the region code of the disc.

John

OK, got it. I would think that I could play it from the Vault without importing it...is that correct?

Only if it is set to the correct region code.

With DVDs you do have the option of changing the region code of the player. BUT, you can only change it a total of four (4) times over the life of the player. After that it is locked. I think I am right on the four times but check on this. Also the Web Browser should tell you how many more changes are allowed before it is locked.

John

Could it be parental control settings? The disc is unrecognized, so it defaults to 'Mature Audiences', if the parental control settings are on, you may be allowed to import but not play?

Thanks for the replies. I called K-Scape and they pretty much confirmed it - this guy has forgotten how his system works. I'm all but certain he got so used to just popping the disc in and pressing the import button that he didn't know what would happen if he did anything else.

It would be funny if he didn't **insist** that I'm mistaken. Oh well...I'll see what I can do!

Back