• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Calculating storage space needed for Blu-ray downloads

sshearer

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I am looking to upgrade my system to add a Strato and possibly a Terra server to my existing Premiere system. I understand that if I want to combine the 2 systems, I need to move my downloaded Blu-ray movies from my current Premiere system to the Strato and/or Terra server assuming I want to be able to watch those downloaded Blu-ray movies. Currently I have 146 Blu-ray movies downloaded which total 18,055 minutes of movies. Can anyone let me know how much storage space I would need on the Strato and/or Terra server to hold these movies? I read previously that Kaleidescape was going to develop a utility that would determine this, but I have not seen that yet and I am planning on upgrading my Premier system to add at least a Strato with 6 TB storage and am trying to get an idea how much space, if any, would be left on the Strato after I transfer the downloaded Blu-ray movies. I do still have space to add more discs to the Vault, so I could always delete some of the downloaded Blu-ray movies and just reinsert the original Blu-Ray disc.

I am just trying to get an estimate of what I need to purchase initially to do the upgrade.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Scott

The current estimate I use for Blu-ray titles is 40GB per, so that ends up being 5.8TB for your BR content. This is the easiest method to use until they release the tool unless you wanted to look up each title's size in their online store, which would be more accurate but a royal pain.

The merged system where you store the downloaded content on the Encore line and use your Premier server for DVD and physical BR sourced (not store downloaded) content is probably not going to be rolled out until June.

I am planning on doing a merged system as well and have been keeping a tally on the total space I am going to need on the Encore system. I believe the system will try to push all the BR content onto the Strato and Alto players first and keep the 4K content on the Terra Server when possible for best system performance.

I would think you should be fine with just the Strato 6TB to start and add a Terra server when you start racking up the 4K content.

Thanks so much for your reply. I have a feeling it won't be long until I need to a Terra server as I do have a 4K projector, etc. and I am sure I will want to add new 4K movies and probably upgrade some existing movies to 4K.

The ballpark figure we use for estimating space is that a 6TB Strato can hold about 100 4K Ultra HD movies, and about 200 Blu-ray quality movies, so that's estimating a bit less space per title than Mr. Poindexter's estimate. Obviously there's a fair amount of variation here depending upon how long the movies are, whether they include extras or alternate versions (e.g.Theatrical Cut, Director's Cut), and so on.

We should have better planning tools available as we get closer to releasing the software associated with the upgrade.

The ballpark figure we use for estimating space is that a 6TB Strato can hold about 100 4K Ultra HD movies, and about 200 Blu-ray quality movies, so that's estimating a bit less space per title than Mr. Poindexter's estimate.
My real world cap is much less than 200 blurays on a 6TB Alto. I hover right around the 155 disc mark, that that might include an SD title or two.

It's not fun, but you could always go to town with My Library and an Excel sheet. That should give you a nearly exact amount of space.

Having 241 B_R downloads I guess my options initially would be to run the systems separately or join the systems after the software becomes available with the Terra being mandatory as a Strato's capacity would be exceeded.

My real world cap is much less than 200 blurays on a 6TB Alto. I hover right around the 155 disc mark, that that might include an SD title or two.

That's disappointing to hear. I've been trying to decide whether to buy an Alto or not. I have over 300 UV movies (plus another 100 DMA, which I know don't transfer yet). I figured being able to store ~200 would be sufficient but 150 is pretty low.

Back