• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Buying the same disk twice?

regwood

It wasn't so bad when I only had a few movies. I could remember exactly what was in my library. Now that I'm at 800+, and my wife has finally joined in to help add to the collection, it's become very difficult to remember exactly what the status is.

I guess I'll have start exporting the "All" movies list to my blackberry and carry it with me when I'm trolling for DVD's :confused:

regwood said:
It wasn't so bad when I only had a few movies. I could remember exactly what was in my library. Now that I'm at 800+, and my wife has finally joined in to help add to the collection, it's become very difficult to remember exactly what the status is.

I guess I'll have start exporting the "All" movies list to my blackberry and carry it with me when I'm trolling for DVD's :confused:

I've found myself pondering the same thing now and then when I'm out shopping for DVDs. Downloading the Excel spreadsheet is easier than messing with your firewall and opening up a port to access the Web UI in real-time. Besides which, given the size of the list, it's not very quick to load on a handlheld device if it loads completely at all (given the amount of info on the page). A simpler text version would be nice for portables.

It would be nice if they had an automater to export the xls file every so often or each time the list was updated. That way, you could set it up to email a copy to you or save it to a specific location (even an online storage solution or web page files section, etc). Other than that, the only thing I could think of would be if they created a user section of the K site where individuals could login and see their collections (just see a static list, not control the system or stream audio/video or anything like that). They could also create a simple text version as mentioned above for handhelds. It's a nice concept, but probably not worth the work.

Jeff

Since my last post on this subject, I've been grabbing a copy of the download and emailing it to my Blackberry. Unfortunately, the K saves what they call an "xls" file as an "xml" file. XML is great on most modern devices, but on the Blackberry it is jibberish. Once downloaded, I have to save a copy in Excel. It's an extra step that I would love to eliminate.

It would be nice if they had an automater to export the xls file every so often or each time the list was updated.

Not quite the solution that people are looking for but if you have a Mac, you can use Automator to create an iCal plugin that grabs the Excel file from your server on a scheduled basis. It's fairly easy to do but I could post an example file people would like.

Another option to DVD records

Hi all-

I realize I'm posting on a year old thread, and maybe my advice is no longer applicable (if K has added this feature), but I'm not a K owner yet and so don't know any better.

I use a program called DVD Profiler to track all of my DVDs. I used to carry around my excel spreadsheet as well, but this is so much easier. The software lets you access your DVD lists from the web as well many other features. The software is made by Invelos and I believe they offer a freeware option, but I whole-heartedly recommend the full version.

Hope this helps :)
Chris

Chris - I just bought this same software on your advice. Great tip, I like this a lot. Now if only they had a way to import my movie collection directly from Kaleidescape, or from the exported Excel sheet that K's web interface can create.

But it's a very good piece of software and well worth the purchase price.

www.invelos.com

Several ways, but easiest way is to enter the UPC code. That way the software can accurately display the exact edition you have, with the right features and cover art. Even Kaleidescape doesn't do that properly. Another nice feature is that DVD Profiler even properly handles box sets - knowing exactly what editions and what discs are in a box set just by entering the UPC of the box set itself. Impressive.

Downloading a CD List

Hi,

Am I just missing it or is there not a downloadable CD list, like the movies to Excel list?

Thanks, Steven

Web Interface --> Music Tab...

Upper-left-hand box, click "All Albums"
Then on the right side hit "Download Excel Format"

Ugh, have to key in UPC for hundreds of DVDs.....
Depending on the size & location of your collection, a bardcode scanner can quickly become a very worthwhile companion puchase (even if never used again,) as might the Mobile version of PDP for those that want to pull their collection up from a phone without dealing with the less-elegant web list.

I would imagine there is some way to import them by disc-id if the K export includes it, but a scanner is likely cheaper than the time to develop a plugin (or reverse engineer the UPC-importer.)

Very cool, thanks Tom!

Jim

Back