• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Buying 4k Disks…ummmmm help??

Darth_LFE

We obviously are all very spoiled with our Kscapes. Except for Prey and Rudy extended addition I have had zero reason to buy anything physical. BUT I wanted to get some discs for a friend -

Where the HECK are people buying discs? Amazon is a wasteland. I don’t think Best Buy or Walmart would have anything on shelves (never go in there to be honest).

Is there some secret place I should know about to get 4K for Aliens, Edge of Tomorrow, Mad Max Fury Road, etc.. ?

These are all on Amazon. They purposely make it difficult so they can push their digital versions.

After searching the title, click the filter and select ‘movies and films. Should show the disc versions then.

8f86b404ae9279d91607026f416276cc.jpg

I don't shop there, but have clients that have mentioned "Gruv" (gruv.com) as a source they use periodically (in addition to Amazon).

Jim

The home video market is shifting, and often the best way to view a movie is a disc from a boutique label or a foreign market. I think most K owners will need to augment their movie library now and then.

For casual disc buying of mainstream titles, Amazon, Walmart, and Target are all viable options. The search function on Amazon has recently turned into pure garbage, so it's easier to just Google "Aliens 4K UHD Amazon" to get the direct link. With all three of these, you're at high risk of receiving your disc in a mailer (cardboard or bubble). Adding gift wrapping will ensure you get a box and extra packaging, but they could still put a dented up/knocked around disc inside.

Much like the disc market has shifted to boutique labels, disc purchasing is also shifting to boutique stores. If you want the widest range of discs, including foreign, specialty, etc., then you're going to want to try stores like DiabolikDVD, GrindhouseVideo, or my personal favorite: OrbitDVD.

Allow me to be a commercial for OrbitDVD for a moment... While the mainstream stores throw your disc around a warehouse, these folks treat their discs like a collector would. The listing says whether an item will have a slipcover, and you can expect to receive an item carefully wrapped in bubblewrap and packed in a sturdy box. If there's small damage to slipcovers or box sets, the stuff that's nearly unavoidable at the mainstream sites, these folks will add descriptions and photos to the item in question. They carry a wide range of obscure stuff, get plenty of foreign offerings, and even buy collections and sell used titles on their site with detailed descriptions and photos. And, yes, they'll get things like Andor, True Lies, Live Die Repeat, etc. (They also have a Facebook page where they upload photos as they receive restock shipments, so you can browse the discs before they're stocked on their website; great for rare finds.)

Finally, for foreign discs there's the various global Amazon stores. Amazon Japan has the Marvel 3D discs since Endgame, Amazon Germany is getting more and more exclusive 4K releases, and Amazon UK and Amazon France are also great sources for Region B titles not yet in the US.

These are all on Amazon. They purposely make it difficult so they can push their digital versions.

After searching the title, click the filter and select ‘movies and films. Should show the disc versions then.

8f86b404ae9279d91607026f416276cc.jpg
Wow- I scrolled through 3 pages and nothing then used filter and popped up first. Thanks for the “secret” man!!

On Amazon, you can also just type "Blu-ray" after the movie title. e.g., "The Accountant Blu-ray". That will turn up the physical media including 4K disc. Also available is the popup menu to the left of the search bar. If you select Movies & TV and then type the title, that works too. I find it's quicker to type blu-ray into the search field than deal with the popup menu.

On Amazon, you can also just type "Blu-ray" after the movie title. e.g., "The Accountant Blu-ray". That will turn up the physical media including 4K disc. Also available is the popup menu to the left of the search bar. If you select Movies & TV and then type the title, that works too. I find it's quicker to type blu-ray into the search field than deal with the popup menu.

Hmm I find that doesn’t always work, and thus the filtering method I suggested. But either way, Amazon has them and typically at the most competitive price.

Huh. I don't recall ever having it not work, but then again, I rarely buy physical media anymore.

Back