• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Bond 50 bluray

MikeG

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I imported the bond 50 bluray set many months ago without issue. For the past week my vault has been telling me a "disc must be ejected." Turns out that it is the Goldfinger disc from the collection. I tried to fix the error by ejecting the problem disc and reinserting it but the same error occurs. The title still appears in my collection but is grayed out (I know its because the system cannot find the disc!)

Anyone heard of a disc going bad over time? I may have played this title once. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

These Blurays are amazing to watch, but they have been nothing but a headache for me. Admittedly, I don't have a K system yet, but the frustration over these Bond disks is actually what drove me to look a the K system! That said, you will find that these disks have a fair amount of DRM issues.

Mike, I know it's a PITA, but you might consider sending the disc to K to be examined, or try another copy if you can. I didn't buy the full "set" because I already had many of those Bond BR's as singles, including Goldfinger, and I have not had any problems with any of the Bond BR I have in the system (a couple dozen).

Jim

Thanks Jim

Ill send it into K if you think it'll help. It's just strange to have worked and suddenly does not.

I agree, that should not be happening. I'd keep an eye on the Vault as well, if this happens again with other discs there might be an issue. Perhaps K can provide an answer after checking your disc.

Jim

On a side note, not actually related, it was that very movie (Goldfinger) that inspired me to enter government service with the Company. If working for the DO had been even 10% as exciting as the Bond films, I might have made it a career. (That and the gutting of the Company's budget!)

Jim

Anyone heard of a disc going bad over time? I may have played this title once.

Yeah, some of the discs that failed in my first vault went from "won't import in M700, but works in other systems" to "is that a blank disc?" My guess is lousy manufacturing causing them to get nuked in the oven of my vault.

Not sure if I'm more bothered that they supposedly idle ~70C, when nothing else in the rack is even remotely that hot and they should be big enough to have sufficient ventilation, or that almost 160F is still considered in-the-green.

When you say "my first vault", did you have it replaced? Was the vault found to be at fault?

Shortly after I imported SWLM from the Bond 50 boxset it "greyed" out. I deleted the movie and re-imported and the same happened a month or so later. It has been fine for months now.

In the past I have had CD's that have degraded and become unplayable. The most probably cause being heat and light exposure after being left in a car.

When you say "my first vault", did you have it replaced? Was the vault found to be at fault?

It was replaced because of a problem with importing in general.

Never really pursued the issue of "fault." I just got a little skittish and made a personal rule of only trying once more in each vault before giving up and sticking it back on the shelf. Cannot really think of any that consistently failed-out since who weren't part of the initial batches (other than one disc of Sanctuary, which took a few more tries than I should have, but was determined not to have a partial season.)

I certainly hope it's not a player issue. Do realize that the discs are just molded plastic and do degrade over time. Just a little surprised that a little used disc would fail. Ill have to see what K thinks of it.

Thanks for your replies

Well, "Thunderball" has now failed too. What a pita. Wonder which will fail next?

So Jim, what did this film inspire in you?!? ;)

Back