• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-Ray Player Coming!

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Just a quick note to let owner's know we received info from K today indicating that the Blu-Ray Player will be released later this year, that's the good news.:) It will be able to play BR/ DVD/CD disks, and import DVD/CD's. It will cost the same as the current pricing for the 1080p Player. It will have the same video outputs and functionality of the current 1080p Player. The bad news is that licensing is not yet finalized, and until it is the BR Player will not be able to import BR disks.:( The plan is to upgrade the players via KEAOS to enable BR imports once the licensing is in place.

There will be a player trade up program as well. We have the details but I want to clarify a point with K before posting more on the program.

I'll post more info later today.

Jim

Last edited:
Kscape's lack of support for BR (not that it's their fault) is the main reason I haven't made the switch. The only place I'd see a difference in picture quality is in the theater, and I'm not going to hook up the PS3 just for that.

sounds good. at the very least, at least we can play them now.

You can play them in a $200.00 system though exactly the same. Kaleidescape is used for easy management of your collection. Instant access to a wide selection of movies on demand and categorized the way you want.

Maybe it would be better if at least we can easily get the metadata into our collections to show in the K gui. At least we would know what movies we have even though we would still have to get up to load the movie.

You can play them in a $200.00 system though exactly the same. Kaleidescape is used for easy management of your collection. Instant access to a wide selection of movies on demand and categorized the way you want.

Yep, I know, but as mentioned I'm not going to hook up a player just for bluray.

Big news indeed! Thanks Jim, glad to see some details starting to emerge,

--josh

I know its not Ks fault but I already have a BR player. The only benefit this gives right now is a more simplified setup. And thats actually a pretty good plus. Hopefully they will get the legalese worked out by the time the player is released. I give K credit for doing this and getting it going. I hope importing works out.

Regarding the upgrade program I mentioned, final details are still being worked out and will be finalized when the players become available. Your dealer will have all of the details.

Jim

This is all well and good...and I'm excited about BR, too, but....is anyone else not excited about your storage costs increasing 3 to 5 times by storing BR discs?

I'm hoping that K's storage costs will downward adjust soon. Current costs seem to pre-pay for future drive failures...

Who is going to only buy specific movies on BR vs. going exclusively BR for all movie purchases over time? Any strategies out there that might help a fellow collector not see the world as every BR disc actually costing $40 to $50/piece if you calculate in your storage costs? :confused:

My attitude is if you want more resolution then you'll have to pay for that. Like you said, you can always buy the lower resolution, but also less demanding DVD.

You're right, Jerry. I just don't like the reality of that answer.

I just am looking at my SD movie hording tendancies and imagining in 5 years I'll need two 3U servers maxed out on drives to support BR aquisition and calculating that total cost...then imagining where the industry, licensing deals and technology might go and wondering if that will prove to be a regrettable "over investment". Hate to be that far invested and see a new solution arise and the units depreciated. On the other hand, I suppose if the economy collapses, there's some silver, copper and gold in those servers...:D

Maybe I'll just quietly stay standard definition for a few years, see how things shake out...or just buy that Porsche GT3 instead. :eek:

Interesting discussion. Clearly it is an expensive proposition to store BR and just as clearly, not everyone with a K system will opt for BR. I think for some, i.e. those with smaller displays, the benefit of BR is not as noticeable and they are unlikely to add BR to their collection. For those with large displays, especially front projection, the benefit of BR is obvious.

Having said that, many K owners are in a financial position that allows them to include BR without consideration of cost. Others of us still keep an eye on the checkbook, but will likely add some BR to our collections.

Personally, I'm limiting my BR collection to Action, Sci-Fi, Epics, Superb special affects, etc. No chick-flicks.:D

Jim

I agree cine. Aside from the inconvenience of playing BR at the moment (would have to hook up the PS3 somewhere), I just don't see it as being necessary for a large number of movies out there. Factor in their additional price over plain DVD and it's really not worth it.

Blu-Ray Upgrades

Hey All,

My local K dealer filled me in on the recent announcement of Blu-Ray, even though I haven't bought a K system just yet. I appreciated that he did that and was interested in the announcement.

I've put off buying a K system because I keep thinking that I'll wait for the next thing...and the next...and the next. Now I'm ready to buy, because there will always be a 'next,' and I'm missing out.

One thing that I sort of speculate, even though I haven't been in the owners group, is that when Blu-Ray is available for import, there will be a licensing fee that K owners have to pay. I understand that there was one for DVDs until not that long ago. I figure Blu-Ray should be around for a while, and I bet that K users will have to pay something, along with all of the upgrades in hardware.

I haven't seen a 1080p player yet, but I could see using upconverted SD DVDs for a while, if a recurring fee is around. I'd probably buy a few more SD DVDs for what the Blu-Ray recurring fee costs.

K really seems to be a great system, and I look forward to being an owner soon!!!

Thanks, Steven

Steven,
Yeah your right about the potential license charge for BR and it could be in the $1000s

You will absolutely love the kaleidescape when you get it. Read around here and you will see how absolutely rock solid it is. Never a single glitch in many years of use for me. Dont put it off too long. I cant think of a better thing I own..(except my car maybe but its a close second)

I know someone looking to sell one of his 997 GT3s- he has an orange one and a green one. Seriously. Right now is a fantastic time to buy an exotic car- if its something you really want. Btw- this guy is not selling at fire sale prices though and Im not sure exactly what price hes looking for. Im not much of a P car guy myself.

Yes, great deals to be had. Before we get blasted for being off topic, I assume those 997 GT3's are actually GT3-RS'? Is there a published price? :D

Bringing it back somewhat, I'm a big slingbox fan and I believe the killer app is the Slingbox Pro-HD connected to the Kaleidescape then accessed with your mobile phone. It's been a life saver waiting at DMV. So I can imagine sitting in a GT3-RS watching one's Kaleidescape on their phone (parked, of course) is almost too decadent and wonderful. It's possible that the universe would strike me down with lightning at that very moment for being gratuitous.

BR discs are delicious (back on topic). Sorry Josh.

I believe they are RS's. :). I agree with Jim (cine) about BR. I will ask about the asking price on his cars.

GT3RS is a really nice car for the money. I also like the Turbos. Just sold my Carrera GT though and not missing it at all. Though the sound was intoxicating.

Back