• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Blu-Ray no importing with first BR player

carajo

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Anyone disappointed that K has now confirmed that that they will not be able to initially import BR with the first release of the player the end of this year?

Without importing BR...to me this is useless

And I am really really hoping that there will not be some kind of time restriction movies download like what Directv does now. they give you 24 hours to watch a movie and then you have to buy it again. BTW, I didn't read that anywhere..just thinking based on the comment of "maybe" getting charged for BR importing

Anyone disappointed that K has now confirmed that that they will not be able to initially import BR with the first release of the player the end of this year?

Without importing BR...to me this is useless

Where did you hear that? I can not find a statement or press release from Kaleidescape that states that.

carajo is correct, the email from MM does have a "questions" section attached at the end, wherein the question of having to pay to import BR is answered as "maybe." (Basically, MM is just acknowledging that licensing terms and conditions remain unknown and anything is possible, including charging a fee to import. Obviously, if such a fee were required, it would be something generated on the BR side, not K's side.)

There is also a question about future ability to "download" content (a different subject than importing), and this is answered by pointing out that there is the capability to do this going forward.

Jim

Downloading Content

Hi,

I actually like the option of downloading content that expires, because I'm a DirecTV customer now, and I'm sort of used to that. One of the things that has kept me from buying a K system is that my family primarily rents from DirecTV for movies now. I've wondered how to integrate that practice with owning a K system, and I feel that it is sort of beneficial to be able to download directly to the system, even if the content expires.

It would be really nice to be able to by a movie online without having to buy the DVD, and be able to own it legally on my K system. I would think that one could save at least a few bucks by not having formal media.

Thanks, Steven

Hi,

I actually like the option of downloading content that expires, because I'm a DirecTV customer now, and I'm sort of used to that. One of the things that has kept me from buying a K system is that my family primarily rents from DirecTV for movies now. I've wondered how to integrate that practice with owning a K system, and I feel that it is sort of beneficial to be able to download directly to the system, even if the content expires.

It would be really nice to be able to by a movie online without having to buy the DVD, and be able to own it legally on my K system. I would think that one could save at least a few bucks by not having formal media.

Thanks, Steven

We really don't have much info regarding downloading at this point, other than the implied acknowledgement by K that downloading MAY be possible at some point in the future. The most recent comment on the subject came from MM (Mr. Malcolm, K's CEO) regarding the upcoming BR Player (K refers to it as a Blue-Laser Player) in which he said "We designed the Blue-Laser Player to support all currently known downloadable video formats. However, the ability to download movies will not be available when the Blue-Laser Player is released." I'm sure this means we still need appropriate licensing and KEAOS updates to allow for this functionality. I suspect the persistant copy issue is the most difficult to resolve when it comes to licensing.

If I understand your comment correctly, you would be okay with just enabling the Player to accept downloadable content and place that content in the Server with an expiration attached, just as you currently do with your DirectTV setup. I suppose those limitations would be fine for some owners, but frankly K's value to me is in the ability to store my content as long as I want it in my system, with the ongoing ability to call up a movie at anytime. Perhaps having the "option" to purchase either license (persistant copy or for a specified period of time) would work to everyone's benefit.

Some of these licensing issues may be easier to deal with going forward. I was speaking with a good friend at Sony a few weeks back and he indicated they were close to resolving at least one licensing problem, that being the current need for those seeking BR licensing to deal with separate licenses for BR, CD, DVD, especially when making players. Later this year there will likely be a single license available to allow for BR implementation. Although none of this directly affects the importing/persistant copy issue at this point, it does show (IMO) that the BR folks understand the need to simplify and support BR initiatives. I guess we will see if this new license will somehow affect the other licensing required to allow us to import our BR content (personally, I'm now up to just over 500 BR movies).:)

Jim

Jim 500 BR movies is nuts man.

Anyway I will not buy movies that expire unless I am forced to by my kids. Like my 8 year old watching wrestlemania. I make him stay up late because if Im paying $50.00 he only has 24 hours to watch the darn thing and he's watching it.

As far as K downloadable movies, I would even pay a premium over store bought DVD's just for the sake of using the K interface to browse, download and play without leaving your couch. But If I want to finish the movie another day or watch again 10 times like I always do, then I am not paying for it again.

.....Jim 500 BR movies is nuts man.

You sound like you've had a conversation with my wife!:eek:

Actually, It isn't as bad as it sounds, most were bought during Amazon "super sales" (buy 3, get 2 free, etc.) and some were vendor gifts (that I probably would not have purchased, but they keep my wife happy:D)

I agree with you regarding the freedom to watch what you want, when you want. I have no issue with paying for that convenience.

Jim

I would pay the premium and one thing more if they do downloadable movies- I want them to be keepers and I would love to see anamorphic for 2.35:1... Lets get true 1080P resolution for those of us with 2.35:1 setups. (I realize this is soooo unlikely, but Im still asking).

500 BRs???

Jim,

I guess you are not one that thinks that the 1080p player is close enough to Blu-Ray? That is a lot of movies not in the K system.

Thanks, Steven

Jim,

I guess you are not one that thinks that the 1080p player is close enough to Blu-Ray? That is a lot of movies not in the K system.

Thanks, Steven

Actually, I think the 1080p is an excellent upscaling player. I've either owned or sold the best players available over the years and I was surprised at the image quality of that unit. Almost all of my BR titles are also in my System (on DVD of course). I only use the BR for specific titles, and even then only on my big screen.

I already had about 450 BR titles when the 1080p was released. There are many great movies, including older films, being released on BR every week which is why my collection continues to grow. If I wasn't using a 12' wide screen, I'd just stick with K's 1080p player, but the additional resolution and superb HD audio codecs that BR brings really enhance the viewing experience. Hard to pass up!:)

Jim

I can see a difference on my 60" plasma which I sit 14' away from and certainly on my 12' wide screen as well. The best processing in the world current or yet to be invented, cannot add resolution. I think the expanded color gamut and contrast ratio the newer formats allow are nearly as important as the resolution.

Even if the benefit of BR was one where the market place was wrong but still imagined there was a benefit and demanded it, K would be wise to come out with a BR solution. The fact is that BR is a substantial leap in picture quality to DVD. And it seems K is doing what it can to bring its users along. The best thing is, if you do not think its worth it, no one is forcing you to upgrade for the foreseeable future. DVD will be with us for a very long time. And I agree for many types of content its still quite a workable format. I will not be replacing many of my DVDs with BR- but for the latest effects movies etc- it sure is nice.

Back