• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

BIG K SYSTEM For Sale, all or in pieces, priced to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

kman

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Hi, former KScape dealer here. One of my oldest clients is liquidating his first theater including the 1st of his of 2 KScape systems. 5 - fully loaded 5Us totaling 28.05TB of useable storage. 1 KPlayer2500 (component, no HDMI). If you have a good video processor BTW, the picture is better that any newer KPlayer.

Prefer to sell together as a system, BUT open to selling the servers 1 by 1. And yes they still have value, perhaps more now than before.

- use 1 or more in exchange for significant discounts from K on new servers
- Have just 1 in your system and you are grandfathered to load DVDs - this will prove to be quite valuable as time marches on

Here's what we have (all chassis are fully loaded with like drives):
1 5U with 300GB drives, 3.3TB usable
3 5U with 500GB drives, 5.5TB usable, each
1 5U with 750GB drives, 8.25TB usable
------------------------------TOTAL USABLE TB = 28.05TB
AND 1 KPlayer2500

Best reasonable offer(s) takes all or pieces. Prefer all correspondence herein until such time that it makes sense to PM. Will ship anywhere!!

Thanks for reading. Kelly Kromphardt, 630.416.2150, Naperville, IL USA

Last edited:
Prefer to sell together as a system, BUT open to selling the servers 1 by 1. And yes they still have value, perhaps more now than before.

- Have just 1 in your system and you are grandfathered to load DVDs - this will prove to be quite valuable as time marches on
USA

Better verify with Kaleiescape first. It is my understanding that each system is grandfathered, but not individual pieces.

IE, if this is a complete system in their eyes and someone buys one server from the group and transfers ownership, the new owner is grandfathered and the other servers are then orphaned. The others would only input DVD's if added to an existing grandfathered system.

This will be one of the first systems sold after the deadline, so some clarification might be in order.

Kevin D.

Good question. See the attached link: http://www.kaleidescape.com/media/pr/PR-20140602-Lawsuit-Settled.php

"Kaleidescape and the DVD CCA jointly settled the case...This permits Kaleidescape to continue selling systems that import CSS-protected DVDs through November 29...Systems sold by Kaleidescape after that date will no longer be able to import CSS-protected DVDs, and such DVDs will only be playable from the physical disc."

The takeaway here is that any system already sold, i.e., any now used system is grandfathered (all components of a system). Further, if a system owner has just 1 grandfathered server, they can add additional components of any type and still be able to import their own DVDs. Physical BDs will continue to require a vault or can be downloaded from K's online store, which BTW, is quite impressive and growing quickly with respect to Title availability.

Hope that clears up any confusion. Jim (Cinelife) or anyone else also in the know including K folks, please feel free to chime in on this issue. BUT don't post it if it is not known accurate information.

Also, in addition to this K gear we have, the client is also selling some very nice speakers, Runco CRT, Stewart electronic screen, acoustics, and more. Whole theater is liquidating.

Unfortunately, from the dealer FAQ:

Q: If someone buys a used Legacy server after Nov. 30th, are they permitted to import DVD's to that server?
A:
The owner of a Legacy system may sell that system to somebody else, and it will still be a Legacy system after the ownership is transferred. (Some or all of the content may need to be deleted prior to the transfer.) Typically this will happen when a home is sold, but it will also be possible to remove a Legacy system from a home and install it in a different home without changing the fact that it is a Legacy system. However, the servers in a multi-server system cannot be used to create multiple Legacy systems. And an old server left over from a server upgrade cannot be used to create a new Legacy system. The total number of Legacy systems will not increase after November 30, 2014.

Wonder how they'll police this? What if someone owns three servers. Two are in a "multi-server system" but the other one has never been added to that "system" and is sitting on a shelf.

The lone server should be a "Legacy system" all to itself, I'd think.

--Donnie

Kman, I misunderstood the breakdown of those servers, not sure why, but I thought there were several "systems" involved. The info above is correct, once you add a Server to an existing system, it cannot be separated to attain legacy status on it's own. It can certainly be sold as a separate server, but will have the DVD import restriction.

Donnie, if the unused Server was ordered from K, it would need to have been designated from the beginning as a separate system, otherwise it is automatically assigned as a system component of your existing system and would therefore be a part of THAT system and could not be separated to attain legacy status. This would be true even if it had never been online, or connected to your system.

If you purchased a "used" Server from someone, and never attached it to your system, then the determining factor would be whether or not that used Server had legacy status on it's own, if it did, then no problem, it will still have legacy status. (This is likely also true even if you added it to your original system and later separated it, but I'd still confirm with K.)

The most important point from the above post is the mention that legacy systems cannot be increased in number after Nov.30th, so this obviously precludes separating Servers from an existing system and creating additional legacy servers.

Jim

Also, it's very easy to police this restriction, the Server's status is recorded by serial number. If someone tried to hide the Server by keeping it off the network they'd lose K support for metadata, updates, and system monitoring. Obviously not the way to go.

Jim

Jim thanks for this clarification.

To all:

1. New (first time K customer)or incremental (e.g. 2nd home) "system". If Buying one or more of these servers I am selling, we can transfer legacy system ownership into your name. And additional new or used gear you purchase and add to this system is still part of your "legacy" system.

2. Existing system owner: can add any of these servers for incremental storage BUT this does not change the status of your current system. Your current system is "legacy" only if sold by Kaleidescape prior to the November 2014 cutoff.

I have these K products and the rest of a very nice theater that we are liquidating. Best way to reach me is to call 630.416.2150. Kelly

Oh and you can also buy 1 or more of these servers to use for BIG discounts off new stuff from K through any K dealer like Jim's company!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the PMs.

Now listed on eBay also. Broke up the system into 1 system and 3 separately available servers:

System: 1 KPlayer 2500 with 2 5Us, 8TB in total ("legacy" system)
Servers: 3 KServer 2500s available, 2 loaded with 500GB drives (each 5.5TB storage), 1 loaded with 750GB drives (8.25TB storage)

Also listing ASC acoustic Tube Traps, ProAC, B&W, Sonus Faber, Canton, Velodyne, and M&K speakers.

Let me know if any interest from forum members. Kelly 630-416-2150

Josh, can you close this thread? "Legacy system" has sold outside of this forum.

Thanks, Kelly

All sold except:

1. A trade-in server. Use for additional discount off of a new 1U or 3U. I have 1 KServer2000 (5U) loaded with 12 300GB drives. Slot 10 has failed. Server will not power on - suspect power supply and/or motherboard. $1,000 or close takes it.

2. I have 1 fully working 12-disk set for sale for a 5U chassis (disks only for sale). 500GB disk set, 5.5TB in total. $2,000 or close takes it.

3. 1 KServer2500 (5U) that does not power on. Suspect power supply and/or motherboard. Best offer.

Hi, former KScape dealer here. One of my oldest clients is liquidating his first theater including the 1st of his of 2 KScape systems. 5 - fully loaded 5Us totaling 28.05TB of useable storage. 1 KPlayer2500 (component, no HDMI). If you have a good video processor BTW, the picture is better that any newer KPlayer.

- use 1 or more in exchange for significant discounts from K on new servers

Here's what we have (all chassis are fully loaded with like drives):
1 5U with 300GB drives, 3.3TB usable
3 5U with 500GB drives, 5.5TB usable, each
1 5U with 750GB drives, 8.25TB usable
------------------------------TOTAL USABLE TB = 28.05TB
AND 1 KPlayer2500

Best reasonable offer(s) takes all or pieces. Prefer all correspondence herein until such time that it makes sense to PM. Will ship anywhere!!

Thanks for reading. Kelly Kromphardt, 630.416.2150, Naperville, IL USA

All sold except:

1. A trade-in server - SAVE some BIG $$ on a new K server. Use for additional discount off of a new 1U or 3U. I have 1 KServer2000 (5U) loaded with 12 300GB drives. Slot 10 has failed. Server will not power on - suspect power supply and/or motherboard. $1,000 or close takes it. Will ship directly to K for you. Have 5U box.

2. 5U drive set - 5.5TB. I have 1 fully working 12-disk set for sale for a 5U chassis (disks only for sale). 500GB disk set, 5.5TB in total. $2,000 or close takes it.

3. 1 KServer2500 (5U) that does not power on. Installed a new Thermaltake power supply. Likely bad motherboard. Best offer. Have 5U box.

#3 is SOLD!

Still have

1-- KServer2000/3.3TB for trade-n to new 1U or 3U ONLY -- I'll ship this directly to K for you. Asking $900 BUT will accept any reasonable offer.

2-- 5.5TB (12 x 500GB) 5U drive set -- working perfectly. If you have a 5U server and need drives, this may be your best option. Asking $1799 BUT will accept any reasonable offer.

BOTH ALSO UP ON EBAY. The lower prices here above reflect discounts that eBay otherwise would take as final value seller fees.

Who wants them? PMs only or email directly to kromp151@gmail.com. Kelly

Two items left, reduced asking price.

1-- KServer2000/3.3TB (12 x 300GB) disk set. Disk set has 1 bad disk. Chassis will not power on. Fix it or use for Trade-in to new 1U or 3U -- If trade-in, I'll ship this directly to K for you. Asking $800 + shipping or reasonable offer.

2-- 5.5TB (12 x 500GB) 5U disk set -- working perfectly, verified by K tech support. If you have a 5U server and need drives, this may be your best option. Asking $1599 + shipping or reasonable offer.

AS IS. No warranties. No returns.

KServer-2000 is SOLD!

STILL AVAILABLE: 5.5TB (12 x 500GB) 5U disk set -- working perfectly, verified by K tech support. If you have a 5U server and need drives, this may be your best option. Asking $1599 + shipping or reasonable offer. Just insert into a 5U and go - All content has been erased.

AS IS. No warranties. No returns.

This Drive Set is on eBay for $1699.

I'll go down to $1000 for any K-Forum member here (not via eBay) + PP fee + shipping.

Great! Thread closed.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back