• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Better In-Movie/Show controls

AnOutsider

Having used a Tivo for a few years, one of the things I like is being able to view information about a show while watching... Now I know you can hit info and get the big popup, but it doesn't tell you on the fly how long the movie (or episode) you are watching is, how far you are into it, and most importantly WHICH episode you're watching.

The last is a biggie because I'll watch a season of a show on DVD and just hit resume episode... should I lose my "resume episode" functionality (for whatever reason) or, just want to know which episode I just watched, I have no way at all of doing that.

Episode synopsis would be great as well.

Lastly, I'd love to see some Tivo-style fast-forwarding and Rewinding. On the tivo, it compensates for how fast you're fast-forwarding / rewinding and actually starts the content a little before or after the spot where you press play as it knows that human reaction time is a bit slower.

Hi AO,
I agree they could do better with overlay info and controls. You can find out what episode you're on by bringing up the info popup and scrolling to the right to get to the episode list. You can also bring up movie details without pausing the movie by pressing "Details" if your remote was properly programmed. I use that all the time. And of course the main info popup does show how much time is left (but not where you are or how much time IN to the show you are).

But you're definitely right about episode synopses, that would be great... and better FF/REW. The 8-second skip-back after a FF is a patent Tivo has, so don't expect that any time soon!

--josh

You do get this info if you are using a Crestron/ AMX system. I find that really does add to the experience.

Hmm, let me go try that. Shame about the skipback, after using a Tivo for so long, it just feels painful to seek through movies with standard FF/RW

*edit* played an episode of stargate season 8, popped up details, but wasn't able to see which episode I was on.

Hmm, let me go try that. Shame about the skipback, after using a Tivo for so long, it just feels painful to seek through movies with standard FF/RW

If you have a programmable remote (or an AMX/Crestron panel -- and you're handy with adding buttons to the panel), there is an IR code/control protocol to skip back 5 seconds. For IR remotes, you can map a "Replay" code to jump back a few seconds. For AMX/Crestron users, the control protocol command is "REPLAY" (without quotes).

*edit* played an episode of stargate season 8, popped up details, but wasn't able to see which episode I was on.

NOTE: The following assumes that your episodic content has been bookmarked by Kaleidescape's Media Guide Group (ie. you have a "Play All Episodes" entry on the Details menu).

If you display the playback options overlay -- the one that covers the lower half of the screen and is text only -- while playing episodic content, the first page should show you the episode number and title (if applicable) along with the Chapter number (in "X of Y" format) and the time remaining to the end of the episode. If you press Left once from this screen, you'll get a list of episodes. You can quickly jump to any episode without having to stop playback first. You can continue to scroll left and right to access audio, subtitle, chapter and favourite scene controls as well all without interrupting playback.

On a Harmony remote, you need to map the IR code for "DISPLAY". For AMX/Crestron users, the control protocol to use is "STATUS_AND_SETTINGS". Note that when movie playback is not active, this same command will take you to the system status screen.

Hope this info was useful.

I had a dealer code my RTI remotes, so I assume those commands do not exist, thus why I can't find them. I was under the impression that the software to code these things were available to dealers only, is that true?

If not, I've got years of programming (in other languages) under my belt, I don't think it would be too hard to pick this up.

If you have a programmable remote (or an AMX/Crestron panel -- and you're handy with adding buttons to the panel), there is an IR code/control protocol to skip back 5 seconds. For IR remotes, you can map a "Replay" code to jump back a few seconds. For AMX/Crestron users, the control protocol command is "REPLAY" (without quotes).

NOTE: The following assumes that your episodic content has been bookmarked by Kaleidescape's Media Guide Group (ie. you have a "Play All Episodes" entry on the Details menu).

If you display the playback options overlay -- the one that covers the lower half of the screen and is text only -- while playing episodic content, the first page should show you the episode number and title (if applicable) along with the Chapter number (in "X of Y" format) and the time remaining to the end of the episode. If you press Left once from this screen, you'll get a list of episodes. You can quickly jump to any episode without having to stop playback first. You can continue to scroll left and right to access audio, subtitle, chapter and favourite scene controls as well all without interrupting playback.

On a Harmony remote, you need to map the IR code for "DISPLAY". For AMX/Crestron users, the control protocol to use is "STATUS_AND_SETTINGS". Note that when movie playback is not active, this same command will take you to the system status screen.

Hope this info was useful.

I've managed to get my hands on the RTI software so that I can make small tweaks to my remote. So far I've made a few changes that helped tremendously.

As for the button commands though, they are not layed out as text commands, but rather as crestron IR codes such as "Press 986", does anyone know the corresponding code (or have a list) for say replay or display as above?

BTW the above code is what is under my "details" button

I've managed to get my hands on the RTI software so that I can make small tweaks to my remote. So far I've made a few changes that helped tremendously.

Take a look at the Kaleidescape support page. There are various RTI template files available for download:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/support/control-systems.php#rti

In particular, there is a file that contains all of the IR codes:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/controltemplates/RTI/Kaleidescape-RTI.cml

Hmm, I'll give it a try, but I was under the assumption that that was for use when directly interacting with a kplayer and NOT interacting through the crestron

Back