• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best practice to turn off Terra Prime servers.

Kaycee2000

Hey folks. Currently my kscape is only used in my theater and isn't used often.. I would like to turn off the server when it's not being used. What is the best practice way to turn it off so that I don't effect the hard drives.? Thanks in advance for any answer.

Full-sized Terra/Terra Prime:
Flip down the front panel. Press and hold the power button which is in the centre between the HDD bays for 4 seconds until you see the LED light turn off.

Compact Terra/Terra Prime:
Press and hold the power button in the bottom right corner of the front panel for 4 seconds until the LEDs turn off.

To power back on, press and release the same power button.

Would be great if they could be turned off and on via IP control.
I´ve got a couple of clients who travel between different locations and sometimes the system in one locations isn´t used for weeks, sometimes months.
Would be nice if power could be controlled as part of a out-of-house/at-home scene in a automation system.

I´ve got a couple of clients who travel between different locations and sometimes the system in one locations isn´t used for weeks, sometimes months.
Would be nice if power could be controlled as part of a out-of-house/at-home scene in a automation system.
Hallo Der Eine!

I know U program Crestron. When I was programming Crestron years ago, I used ST-PC's for power control, on occasion. Isn't there a way to easily contact the creation controller In use from wherever and have power signal go high on command to a similar device, if there has been a successor?

Thank you very much

FURY

Full-sized Terra/Terra Prime:
Flip down the front panel. Press and hold the power button which is in the centre between the HDD bays for 4 seconds until you see the LED light turn off.

Compact Terra/Terra Prime:
Press and hold the power button in the bottom right corner of the front panel for 4 seconds until the LEDs turn off.

To power back on, press and release the same power button.
I never knew the Terra had a power button 🙈

that would be great!

I know U program Crestron. When I was programming Crestron years ago, I used ST-PC's for power control, on occasion. Isn't there a way to easily contact the creation controller In use from wherever and have power signal go high on command to a similar device, if there has been a successor?
Just cutting power of a storage server like the Terra isn´t a good idea. You would risk screwing up the file system.

Just cutting power of a storage server like the Terra isn´t a good idea. You would risk screwing up the file system.
I had that very concern, of course, and called tech support just 2 days ago, to ask that question. They told me no problem, as regards damaging anything within the K pieces, for me to have the 8Tb terra and Strato C shut off, with the power cutoff, as they are currently on switched power receptacles on one of my Furman Elite 20's. Have you (or anyone else) had any documentation of any damage to K kit from power cutoff-not that it is required to have concern, of course.

Thank you very much

FURY

I had that very concern, of course, and called tech support just 2 days ago, to ask that question. They told me no problem, as regards damaging anything within the K pieces, for me to have the 8Tb terra and Strato C shut off, with the power cutoff, as they are currently on switched power receptacles on one of my Furman Elite 20's. Have you (or anyone else) had any documentation of any damage to K kit from power cutoff-not that it is required to have concern, of course.

Thank you very much

FURY
Just to confirm, since you have one. There is a power button on the Terra, correct?

OK, that´s good information. But the 8TB Terra only has one harddrive, whereas the larger Terras have a set of disks logically combined as a RAID array. I was solely referring to the non-compact Terras.

OK, that´s good information. But the 8TB Terra only has one harddrive, whereas the larger Terras have a set of disks logically combined as a RAID array. I was solely referring to the non-compact Terras.
Not disagreeing with you, but do we know the drives are RAID configured?

I've seen explanations about how K knows what movies were/are on a failed drive and describe it in a manner that leads me to conclude the drives are not RAID. Were they RAID configured for redundancy, there would be no movies lost when 1 drive fails.

Mh, good point.
Looking at the KB, "RAID-K" is mentioned as the filesystem, but only mentioned in conjunction with Premiere systems. That might be because the articles haven´t been updated or they are indeed only valid for Premiere servers, not Terra.
Just asked K-support to get a definitive answer. :)

RAID-K is for Premier Line systems, Terra servers are not 'raided' as if the disk fails the content can be restored from the store after the failed drive is replaced so there is no need for Raid.

RAID-K is for Premier Line systems, Terra servers are not 'raided' as if the disk fails the content can be restored from the store after the failed drive is replaced so there is no need for Raid.

This is correct, there is no RAID allocated space in the Terra servers. The Store is effectively the RAID.

Jim

OK, makes sense. That aligns with the KB. My understanding was that "restoration" is actually a new download of the content to the server.
Thanks for confimation!

Hey folks. Currently my kscape is only used in my theater and isn't used often.. I would like to turn off the server when it's not being used. What is the best practice way to turn it off so that I don't effect the hard drives.? Thanks in advance for any answer.

Is it necessary to shut down the server? You wouldn’t be able to download movies remotely etc. I always leave mine on in the theater room but do you think it should be powered off? What could happen if it was always powered on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back