• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best practice to turn off Premiere servers (3U)

derlefti

Dear community,

I read the same question about the Terra Prime Servers but I do not know whether the same applies to Premiere Servers.

Sometimes I do not use mine for several weeks or even months and it simply makes sense to turn it off, especially considering the significant and continuous power consumption. Some years ago I addressed the same question to Kaleidescape support and they advised to keep the system running unless it is not used for several months.

Does anyone know a "safe" way to shut down the Premiere system? When pressing the power button it instantaneously powers down, this is not even close to a safe shut down.

Thanks
Jan

Actually, that is the correct way to shut it down. I know it seems instantaneous when using the power button, but there is the required delay to safely shut it down. it's just really, really quick.

Jim

Jim is correct. The proper way to shut down a 3U server is to flip down the front panel and press the power switch on the right side of the chassis. Rest assured that the HDD read heads are properly parked when you do this.

The same is true for most Premiere equipment: to power them down, simply press the power button that is on (or behind) the front panel.

In the case of the M700 and DV700 vaults and the "mini" players (1080p Mini and M300), is safe to simply unplug them (or cut power to the socket that the device is plugged into).

Thanks for your advice! Still one question: How do I make sure "that the HDD read heads are properly parked" when I power down the device? For sure no movie should be running at that time but apart of that I have no idea if the system is doing something (such as updating or communicating with the KScape HQ). Is there any way to determine this?

Thanks
Jan

Your server is almost certainly exchanging information with the Kaleidescape headend at any given moment: logs, guide data updates, movie downloads, etc. But it's still quite safe to power it down. The parking of the drive heads is pretty much automatic (handled directly by the hard drive at the hardware level these days). As for the communications, they'll just pick up where they left off when you next power the server back on. No harm done.

Here are the things that are most likely to "break" (and I use that term lightly) if you shut down the server suddenly:
  • if a movie is being played, you won't get a proper pause bookmark set for it.
  • if your system was importing a DVD, that partial import will be lost and it'll have to start over (Blu-ray disc imports will resume from where it was interrupted)
  • there is perhaps a very small window during a software upgrade where you _might_ cause a problem if you were to power off the server. But if you can access the server's browser interface and the specific server you are going to power down is listed as being online on the Components page then the server isn't in the middle of a software upgrade. Shut it down at will.
The bottom line is just don't overthink it. Just power down the server when you need to power it down.

Is it the same as pressing power to shut down Terra servers when I am out of the country for a few weeks?

Your server is almost certainly exchanging information with the Kaleidescape headend at any given moment: logs, guide data updates, movie downloads, etc. But it's still quite safe to power it down. The parking of the drive heads is pretty much automatic (handled directly by the hard drive at the hardware level these days). As for the communications, they'll just pick up where they left off when you next power the server back on. No harm done.

Here are the things that are most likely to "break" (and I use that term lightly) if you shut down the server suddenly:
  • if a movie is being played, you won't get a proper pause bookmark set for it.
  • if your system was importing a DVD, that partial import will be lost and it'll have to start over (Blu-ray disc imports will resume from where it was interrupted)
  • there is perhaps a very small window during a software upgrade where you _might_ cause a problem if you were to power off the server. But if you can access the server's browser interface and the specific server you are going to power down is listed as being online on the Components page then the server isn't in the middle of a software upgrade. Shut it down at will.
The bottom line is just don't overthink it. Just power down the server when you need to power it down.
Can you also power off the 3U Server by cutting off the Power to it? I can do this with my Crestron System.
It can cut power off and then turn on when the 3U or the Terra is needed

Is it the same as pressing power to shut down Terra servers when I am out of the country for a few weeks?
More or less. Encore devices require you to hold the power button for 4 seconds or so before it powers off whereas the Premiere gear shuts down almost instantly.

Can you also power off the 3U Server by cutting off the Power to it? I can do this with my Crestron System.
It can cut power off and then turn on when the 3U or the Terra is needed
You can do that but by doing so, you are bypassing the motherboard's controlled shutdown process so it's inherently "less safe" than pressing the power button.

You can do that but by doing so, you are bypassing the motherboard's controlled shutdown process so it's inherently "less safe" than pressing the power button.
Would be great if the servers could get at least some basic IP control functionality to power-on/shutdown.

Back