• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best device for writing DVD images?

Fishbpm

I've just purchased a 1U server and am looking to onboard my (massive) DVD library.
There seems to be a bunch of different options for loading content, and I wanted to be sure there wasn't any difference in terms of the resulting image size/quality? Do all of the following write the identical true bit-for-bit DVD image? In terms of both video and audio? Or should I be focussing on one as being superior?
> C200 bulk loader
> K reader
> K speedreader
> An Mclass player
> A new C1 player
Note I'm talking DVD exclusively here. Bluray will come later!
Thanks, Mark

Any DVD that has been successfully imported will give the same viewing experience regardless of the import device.

For the importing of a "massive" DVD collection I would consider trying to hire a Speedreader from a K dealer.

I would recommend the M700 vault. It acts as a bulk loader for CD's, DVD's and BR's and adds the capability to load and play back BR and HD downloads. I load up 25-50 CD's at night and they are all imported by the next morning.

It is a little more expensive but we'll worth it.

John

If you want to talk exclusively DVD, then definitely stick with Speed Reader, as you will get the double-barreled action.

If you are willing to pay more for the capability of adding BDs in the future (and don't mind the future being now) then go with a M700/D700-vault. They also hold more, so while it will take longer to import, you don't have to go through the act of reloading as often. Finally, if you want to be able to live within 100-feet of the device while it is working, and don't have a VERY acoustically isolated area to place it in, go with the vault... I still have flashbacks from the early days upon days of the Reader going whenever I spin it up for a lager batch *rocks back and forth in the corner*

Thanks guys.
Ive managed to pick up a bulk loader for now very cheap, so will give that a run and see how it goes. Appreciate this is legacy tech but could at least tide me over, and provided no cost in terms of image quality then this approach seems fine (or let me know if not!) - and if it fails (which is likely!) then I would look to source a speedreader, thanks for the pointer!

Yes Id definitely prefer a vault!, but Id need to also upgrade my player (currently only Kclass 1080p) to justify that kind of investment. Being a newbie I think I need to take one step at a time. If the K experience proves as great as Im hoping Im sure I will want to upgrade later!

Yes, well aware of the C1 ring-fencing. Shame, looks like Im stuck on the Premier line path now. Hopefully this will be to my benefit in the long run....

The M700 IS a standalone player - you would not need to upgrade anything to make use of it.

John

Back