• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Best Buy will stop selling DVD/Blu-ray/4K UHD Blu-ray discs after this holiday season

Mass market (and there's still Walmart) perhaps, but plenty of smaller publishers that will find it easier & cheaper to release disks compared to spinning up streaming infrastructure.

Pretty sure Walmart is looking to take over physical movies, though I don't know how well that bodes for UHD's as they always have plenty more DVD and Blu-Ray at my local stores.

Walmart stores have already shrunk their physical media selections a couple of years ago. They carry more DVDs than Blu-rays. A handful of new releases on Blu-ray disc and a couple hundred $5 bin movies on DVD. That’s all.

Mass market (and there's still Walmart) perhaps, but plenty of smaller publishers that will find it easier & cheaper to release disks compared to spinning up streaming infrastructure.
I believe smaller publishers will continue for many years to their very small niche market. They ask $40 or so for a very obscure title nearly no one knows. They play the limited quantity game to create a hype.

I used to watch D.a.r.y.l on VHS when I was a kid. It’s a shame no big studio published it on Blu-ray in the US for a more appropriate $14.99 retail price (and $7.99 a few months later). Do I want to pay $65 for it because Vinegar Syndrome released it in a fancy paper case and it will be OOP soon (because they only printed 8000 copies). I think not.

Last year, my local Best Buy was closed for months due to renovation. When they opened back up, they stopped selling physical media. The only place around here that sells physical media is Target, with a very limited selection. Maybe 4K for a couple of very popular recent releases, and the rest in Blu-Ray or DVD.

Last year, my local Best Buy was closed for months due to renovation. When they opened back up, they stopped selling physical media. The only place around here that sells physical media is Target, with a very limited selection. Maybe 4K for a couple of very popular recent releases, and the rest in Blu-Ray or DVD.
When's the last time you checked your Target? My local store cleared them all out a month ago.

When's the last time you checked your Target? My local store cleared them all out a month ago.
I haven't checked for a couple of months. The selection was very low, so it wasn't something I normally look for in a Target unless I happen to go near them by accident.

Checking the local stores for great deals on shinies is one of my Black Friday favorites. Going to be a very disappointing season if all the stores axe physical media.

This is Target at Irvine, California, one of the largest Target stores around here. Most of them are DVDs.

IMG_3766.jpeg

I'm not sure how to take it if the stores end-up with a larger collection of vinyl records for sale than optical media. Irony feels too underwhelming/understated.

Small world ;-) I'm in Irvine too
Indeed it is! I am in Laguna Niguel. I was visiting the Spectrum with my wife. We decided to stop by at that Target to get toothpaste. She said she was going to look around for a few minutes before we check out. I knew that really meant a couple of hours :) So I decided to check out the media section and took that picture.

Obviously I don't know who's gonna decide to do what, but I think studios will continue to offer physical media same way record labels continue to offer SACDs, especially of classical releases. Rumors of that format's death have been exaggerated for about 25 years now. In some markets SACDs continue to thrive. So...physical media may also.

I personally like physical media because while streamers all launched promising that everything will always be available - then they began deleting titles from their streaming service. They've all done it, HBO, Disney, etc. etc. And of course a lot of titles have not made it to streaming/KStore at all. So, fingers crossed physical media continues.

Not sure I see the point in SACD anymore given the tremendous volume of lossless audio available from multiple music platforms now. But niche media targeted at small markets tend to always be around in some capacity and likely will as long as they can sustain some type of profit. The same will be the truth for the physic movie market. I can still go buy CDs if I want, but I wouldn’t call CDs a thriving market. Hell, cassettes are even still around.

Not sure I see the point in SACD anymore given the tremendous volume of lossless audio available from multiple music platforms now. But niche media targeted at small markets tend to always be around in some capacity and likely will as long as they can sustain some type of profit. The same will be the truth for the physic movie market. I can still go buy CDs if I want, but I wouldn’t call CDs a thriving market. Hell, cassettes are even still around.
I think SACDs are relevant for multi ch high res audio (if you care for that).

Back