• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Basic Questions

bdo21

I have read a number of posts and the Kaleidescape FAQ but I have a few questions I hope someone can help with. Thanks in advance.

I realise two Cinema Ones can be linked together to store 200 blurays but I am concerned about buying a system now which I might grow out of. I have read conflicting information regarding whether the Cinema One can be expanded with servers from the premiere line - is this possible? If it is possible, is there any issue starting with the Cinema One and adding a premiere line server later or do I need to think about starting with the premiere line?

The Cinema One seems to be priced between the M300 and M500 players which seems odd - why buy the M500 if the Cinema One is cheaper and does the same thing? Unless the Cinema One isn't compatible with the premiere line...

It looks like there are different versions of the Cinema One - are there quite significant differences between the versions? I thought I would start with a second hand model but I'm not sure if only the latest Cinema One model is appropriate (i.e. 100 bluray capacity with option to link two Cinema Ones, add a disc vault for blurays and potentially add in a server at a later date).

Thanks

I don't believe the cinema one can work as a player on the premier series. You can replicate a Cinema One to a premier system, when you upgrade. I would add that you don't get data protection on the cinema one.

The first gen Cinema One *is* compatible with the Premiere line, but is NOT Blu-Ray capable in any way. The second gen Cinema one is NOT compatible with the Premiere line, but as you've seen does do Blu-Ray.

So the second gen Cinema One is a terrible idea if you're worried you'll grow out of it. You'll want to start with a Premiere line server and player(s).

--Donnie

The Cinema One seems to be priced between the M300 and M500 players which seems odd - why buy the M500 if the Cinema One is cheaper and does the same thing? Unless the Cinema One isn't compatible with the premiere line...
Thanks

Just to clarify - the M300 and M500 have NO memory. They must be paired with a server to work.

John

You are correct that the players do not store data. The players must be paired with a server, which stores data on hard drives.

So the second gen Cinema One is a terrible idea if you're worried you'll grow out of it. You'll want to start with a Premiere line server and player(s).

--Donnie

I think the new Cinema One is a fantastic product! The important thing to remember is that the new Cinema One is geared to a different customer than a traditional Kaleidescape customer. These are people with smaller movie collections, or ones who could never afford the price tag of a traditional K system. I have been a Kaleidescape dealer for 10+ years, and have sold my fair share of systems. But thanks to the new Cinema One, I am now a Kaleidescape owner. I have also started adding these to every one of my proposals instead of a traditional Blu-ray player, unless 3D is needed.

Regarding expansion, Kaleidescape did show a mock up of a Cinema One server with a similar form factor at last years' CEDIA. Kaleidescape is completely mum on when we can expect to see this product, but rest assured something is coming.

Back