• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Bad Imports

BritBlaster

I imported a disc that was probably scratched-up pretty bad. One of the selling features (or "value propositions" if you're into synergistic symbioses and other silly buzzwords) were preventing the "ankle-biters" from ruining any more DVDs. Anyway, it *eventually* imported without any error (or so I thought).

A few weeks later when the kids wanted to watch the movie, about half-way through the movie it started behaving like it was reading a scratched disc. Of course, by now the movie has been packed away and put in a box in storage somewhere, so I don't have it available to clean and attempt re-import.

So, my feature request is that I'd like to know at import-time whether the import was truly successful. I think that this might only be possible by a "verification" process perform in batch after the import has completed. For example, by "playing" the movie in a virtual environment simply to determine if any errors are encountered. (This verification might have to wait until a player is idle). That way, at least I'd get to know that the import wasn't really successful within a couple of hours of import ...

Yes, that would be very useful. I used to organize all my DVD and CD but with K, I simply box them and put them in the basement. I would hate to try and find any single DVD or CD

One interesting thing to report here. My kids like the Cheetah Girls movies and one of the movies was recently misbehaving- I believe it was Cheetah Girls One World. The system said it imported just fine. I deleted it and tried reimporting it. No matter what I did, the movie would break up at the same places when played back via the K hard drive- yet if I played it in the optical reader in the K player or on my computers DVD player, it was fine.

I dont know exactly what was going on but I contacted K technical support and they resolved the problem for me. I dont know how they did it but its working now. I suspect this is another case of the studios employing some "creative authoring" to try and defeat media servers.

Moral of the story, if the disc plays in other players but does not behave properly in the K system, contact tech support and you usually will end up ok.

Of course, by now the movie has been packed away and put in a box in storage somewhere, so I don't have it available to clean and attempt re-import.

So, my feature request is that I'd like to know at import-time whether the import was truly successful. I think that this might only be possible by a "verification" process perform in batch after the import has completed. That way, at least I'd get to know that the import wasn't really successful within a couple of hours of import ...

I think that is a great idea - I was always under the impression that if it imported, then it was OK, until I read your post.

I often build up my collection by scouring the pre-viewed section of blockbuster when they have a 3 or 4 for $20 sale (before you say it, yes I know, I spend beaucoup dolares on a K system, and I am always searching the bargain rack for DVD's, not real consistent logic, but you try to save it where you can and it becomes more of game and you get a (small) thrill when you can find Shawshank for $2.99 when Amazon runs a sale)...ANYWAY, days after I read this post, I remembered when I imported "Role Models" that it took about 12+ hours, so I assumed it was an authoring problem, but it wasn't on the K-scape list, so that led me to think that it was the problem discussed by the OP.

Sure enough, my wife and I were watching "Role Models" and we got kicked to the K movie list menu screen and a message with a red header which basically said "Unable to continue watching movie, there is a problem reading the disk, check for scratches etc and try to reimport."

So that makes me think that if you get that kind of message, that they should be able to run a diagnostic after the import that shows it did not import all the material (i.e. gigabytes) and give a warning. In this case, if I play that movie and skip forward from scene-to-scene, when I get to the scene with the problem, it kicks you right out to that warning message I mention in the previous paragraph. Don't know if that would work for every movie or only those badly scratched.

P.S. not to keep you in suspense, but I was able to switch out the movie and get another pre-viewed copy :D

Back