• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Available Space?

BenNat

I noticed the available storage is shrinking at increasingly fast pace. Is this normal? Although, most of my collection is Blu Ray, I cannot imagine it is unique-containing movies that have unusual sizes. I assume at the current rate I will not have room for what is currently pending in my vault.

What size average does K use to come up with 320 B/R disc space for 1U 4X4, it obviously is unrealistic?

System Status
You have 114 movies and no albums in your library.
Available storage: 232 Blu-ray discs, 1281 DVDs or 14313 CDs
Your system upgraded to software version 6.0.1-14048 on April 10.

Disc Vault
Importing disc. 105 discs are awaiting import.
Your disc vault has 320 slots and 123 are empty.
Your disc vault contains 170 Blu-ray discs and 27 DVDs.
1 disc is awaiting ejection from your disc vault.

Last edited:
Or am I reading that info incorrectly and I actually have more room than expected? 114 downloaded with 232 Blu-Ray space available?

You have enough room to load your collection, based on what you posted. It does not say how many of the titles to import are Blu-ray and how many are DVD, but you would still have room left after this initial bulk loading.

K estimates that each DVD is ~6.7 GB and each Blu-ray is ~40 GB. Those are estimates and I have found on DVD that children's videos are usually much less while TV shows on DVD generally are more as they max out the discs more. The same tends to hold true for Blu-ray, I think.

A 1U server with 4 x 4TB drives will hold 12TB after RAID parity is covered. 12TB / 40GB is 300. Kaleidescape may have a slightly different size calculation that results in a different number of titles per drive, but that is the math I use and it is close to the math K uses, I think.

Thanks Poindexter for the info.

I called K's technical support and confirmed my initial theory was incorrect and that the available storage is in fact just that, available storage on top of what has already been downloaded. I am sure most already know this information but just in case on average 4tb equals 100 Blu-ray.

Back