• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Audio format delivered from the studio

Hunter67

As I understand it, when the studio delivers non object based audio to K it's sent as LPCM Is there any reason K encodes this as DTS-HD MA instead of just leaving it as 5/7.1 LPCM? It does look like they recently started delivering the 2 channel as LPCM without encoding to DTS-HD MA. Only reason I can think if encoding to DTS-HD MA is to save space but this doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference when they are not limited by the physical BD disk space.

I guess that is one perspective. The other is that the main investment you make with K is buying SPACE. The more they can maximize that space, the more you get from that investment. I would love nothing more than to see K move EVERY movie they have in their system (regardless of resolution) to H265 if not 266 to get the file sizes smaller than they are now. K uses H265 for 4K files, but HD and SD titles could be like half the file size if they used it for those and therefore you'd have more movies in any given storage size for your system.

I guess that is one perspective. The other is that the main investment you make with K is buying SPACE. The more they can maximize that space, the more you get from that investment. I would love nothing more than to see K move EVERY movie they have in their system (regardless of resolution) to H265 if not 266 to get the file sizes smaller than they are now. K uses H265 for 4K files, but HD and SD titles could be like half the file size if they used it for those and therefore you'd have more movies in any given storage size for your system.
Totally agree with everything you said, could it be they are not using H265 for HD and SD files for compatibility on older K systems? Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense if that wasn't the case.

I believe that is exactly why. For support of the legacy stuff. But at some point you can't limit the potential of your modern stuff for older systems. If they want the files, they can download them. Do some kind of date that further support will no longer be there and incentivize moving to the newer hardware.

Back