• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Audio Delay

Mars

Has anyone had an issue where when you "play movie" or "play scene/song" there is a two second audio delay (i.e. the movie starts but you don't hear the sound for two seconds)

two seconds is typically Not a big deal except for playing "scenes" and "songs". Especially scenes that might be "one-liners" and the first part of the "one-liner" is cut off.

I noticed it in my theater AND my family room setup (the family room setup simply feeds through a Yamaha Soundbar).

Thoughts/suggestions?

A few questions:

Does it happen all the time?
What model of Processor(s)/Receiver(s) are you using (I saw the Yamaha comment)?
Am I correct that it is happening with more than one Player?
What audio settings are you using in your Player(s)?

Thanks!

Jim

A few questions:

Does it happen all the time?
Yes - as far as I can tell/notice - again - only really noticeable when playing a scene/song

What model of Processor(s)/Receiver(s) are you using (I saw the Yamaha comment)?

Anthem AVM 50 in the theater (1080p player)

Yamaha YSP-4100 soundbar in the family room (1080p mini player)

Am I correct that it is happening with more than one Player?

yes, happening on both of my players

What audio settings are you using in your Player(s)?

Thanks!

Jim

not sure on the audio settings I would have to check that...I assume you mean audio settings on the K-players themselves vs on the Pre/pro and soundbar?

.....I assume you mean audio settings on the K-players themselves vs on the Pre/pro and soundbar?

Yes, correct.

If it were not for the sound bar, I'd blame the Anthem (I'm not bashing the Anthem, they make an excellent product, but many owner's have reported connection/playback/hdmi issues over the years.) (I've owned one myself.)

Jim

I just checked several "play song" from Chicago and U2, as well as several "play scene" from several different movies. I did this on both a flat panel with built-in speaker, and my front projection system, result was the same for both.

The load time (button press to on screen activity) was about a second, except for Chicago songs which took about 3 seconds to load (I had a Black screen while waiting) but they all played in sync, probably because the delay allowed the video and audio to match up.

On the U2 play song selection I had a 1 second delay before audio kicked in.

So far, I see no "consistency" in the load/play/sync times among the discs I selected. They were all different in response time and A/V syncing. I also have a large collection which probably accounts for the 3 second Black screen for some disc playbacks. In any case, not really a problem.

So, perhaps what you are experiencing may just be the way it is at this point. If we get more experiences, we can let K know, maybe a software "adjustment" could help, not sure.

I'd be curious what others are seeing/hearing.

Jim

Yes, correct.

If it were not for the sound bar, I'd blame the Anthem (I'm not bashing the Anthem, they make an excellent product, but many owner's have reported connection/playback/hdmi issues over the years.) (I've owned one myself.)

Jim

When switching between sources (Cable to K or DVD to K, etc), the Crestron runs through a macro that essentially has the Anthem go to another "input" (e.g. Stereo - or whatever they would be called) and then back to HDMI..it can't stay on HDMI and switch between HDMI sources, it has to break the handshake and reestablish - dealer told me this was an "anthem thing" - annoyance because of the 4-5 seconds to switch components, but it is now just part of the norm.

I just checked several "play song" from Chicago and U2, as well as several "play scene" from several different movies. I did this on both a flat panel with built-in speaker, and my front projection system, result was the same for both.

The load time (button press to on screen activity) was about a second, except for Chicago songs which took about 3 seconds to load (I had a Black screen while waiting) but they all played in sync, probably because the delay allowed the video and audio to match up.

On the U2 play song selection I had a 1 second delay before audio kicked in.

So far, I see no "consistency" in the load/play/sync times among the discs I selected. They were all different in response time and A/V syncing. I also have a large collection which probably accounts for the 3 second Black screen for some disc playbacks. In any case, not really a problem.

So, perhaps what you are experiencing may just be the way it is at this point. If we get more experiences, we can let K know, maybe a software "adjustment" could help, not sure.

I'd be curious what others are seeing/hearing.

Jim

Here are the audio settings - Room running the Anthem has the defaults which are "Preferred Audio Track - Dolby Digital" and "HDMI Audio preference - Automatically detect audio capabilities (default)"

Room running the Yammy soundbar - "Preferred Audio Track - Dolby Digital" and "This component is currently configured to send stereo (PCM) audio over the HDMI cable." - which may have been leftover from when I had it running through the TV speakers of a prior display. I may change it and see what happens. I may run a more specific test for different movies and see what's happening.

The theater definitely had an issue on movie scenes because I had a script of favorite scenes and there was a definite cutoff that was noticeable on the short ones to the point where I would start the scene bookmark about 2 seconds early. But when I say delay, I mean picture comes up - 1 count, 2 count, audio kicks in.

Thanks for your help on all this! - any others that have noticed what I am seeing (or rather hearing...... or rather not hearing), would love to hear from you.

Last edited:
I've always found it interesting that in our quest to achieve simplicity we create complexity.

You would think that by now all of the manufacturer's would have aligned in a way that eliminates all of these syncing issues we experience on a regular basis. Given all we spend on our systems (displays, audio, control, etc.), it's quite ridiculous, IMO.

Jim

I just read your subsequent post about audio setup. Yes, I would play with the audio settings to see if anything helps. Might try changing "auto detect" to "receiver supports" and see what happens. Probably no difference, but not a big deal to check. Let's see what others are experiencing.

Jim

I had the same problem - audio came on exactly 4s later than the video when using HDMI with my Anthem D2. Since I didn't have blu-ray at the time through the K system I switch to coax digital and this fixed the problem. I have since upgraded my pre/pro since then and now don't have this issue with HDMI.

I would check and if you don't have an issue with coax then you know it's an HDMI hand-shake issue.

John

I had the same issues with the D2, which is the reason I got rid of it a couple years back. It's really an excellent piece, when it works correctly. I always thought it was their firmware, but not sure, and they deny that's the case and blame other factors. It's possible they could be correct, but a difficult argument when you swap out for a new prepro and the problem goes away.

Jim

Another thought is to find some kind of box that can keep the handshake established with the K but allow the Anthem to break it.

For example, this
http://www.gefen.com/gefentoolbox/gtbproduct.jsp?prod_id=9605

Although its a splitter (Im using this product in my system with no problems), you can specify an EDID setting that basically keeps the handshake for the K player. AND/OR/ you could split it so when you switch to your 2nd input, it also has the HDMI signal... just some thoughts....

Back