• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Atmos or DTS - THAT is the question

audioguy123

I'm still confused on the issue of a given 4K release (in this case the original "Transformers" movie) being available in Atmos on both disc AND a streaming service (Apple) in 4K Atmos but from the K store it is 4K and DTS-HD 5.1. And that movie has been available for a very long time. How can K blame the studios when both disc and streaming offerings support Atmos?

As an aside, the DTS-HD K version audio on this disc is REALLY great, and using the Neural-X up-mixer sounds as good as or better than the Atmos version.

Unfortunately, K is at the mercy of what the studios offer them. They always want (and undoubtedly request) the best, but sometimes the studios just don’t go out of their way for the smallest fish in the pond.

Luckily, what K offers is lossless which is far superior (IMHO) to the lossy tracks offered on the streaming services. It is easy to get caught up in the trendy marketing terms, but at the end of the day, I’m more concerned with getting more bits.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, K is at the mercy of what the studios offer them. They always want (and undoubtedly request) the best, but sometimes the studios just don’t go out of their way for the smallest fish in the pond.

Luckily, what K offers is lossless which is far superior (IMHO) to the lossy tracks offered on the streaming services. It is easy to get caught up in the trendy marketing terms, but at the end of the day, I’m more concerned with getting more bits.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is the answer I expected. In this particular case, the DTS:HD track from K upsampled via Neural-X sound "better" than does the Atmos track I have on disc.

We would all like that answer to change at some point, and clearly some folks are bothered by it more than others, but it is what it is until the content owners provide K with the same digital files they provide to others. I don't know what it takes to get equal treatment in that regard, but I do know K wants the same thing we all want, and that's the best possible experience for owners of their products, and buyers of the content available in the Kaleidescape Store.

I do acknowledge that on some level it's strange that there would be multiple digital versions of a movie issued by the content owner. It is illogical to me. I get that they may, by contract, allow a vendor advanced access to a particular movie for a period of time before others get access, but once distribution begins for everyone else you'd think they'd use one (the best) version available for all. It doesn't make sense to me to have multiple versions (apparently).

The only way you can logically blame K here is if they are given the option to have the better version, and decline for financial reasons (i.e. the Atmos version costs more money), and to my knowledge that has never been the case.

@audioguy123, thanks for the Neural-X comment, hadn't thought to use that in those cases.

Jim

Another question on the same theme.

I have a lot of 4K disc's that I like to get rid of but I kept some since K misses out on the DTS:X on these titles. It's so convenient to choose movies in the Kaleidescape so I forget about the 20 movies I kept.
Has anyone made a comparison of these titles
Bourne movies
Mummy movies
Jurassic movies
and like all other that's missing DTS:X in the store.

As for the DTS-HD sound on the Transformers, I can't find a single disc release that has that track so very hard to find reviews on that. So can it be the track for "real" cinema that K got from the studio. They say they offer K the best there is and that track probably is even more Immersive then the Dolby Atmos track.

Repeat of what I noted above:

One of the things that held me back from buying into K was the Atmos unavailability on some of the K discs. While it would be really nice if they had them all, we did an A/B comparison of one of the Transformer movies from disc (Atmos) and K (DTS). We BOTH preferred the impressiveness of the up-sampled (using Neural-X) of the DTS version. YMMV but it was not and has not been, a huge deal to me, in my theater. (Hence, I bought into the K eco-system).

The atmos track for Transforms is up sampled; in 2007 it was a native 5.1 recording or whatever the theater equivalent was at the time. On my Trinnov I prefer to use Auro3D, the results are terrific on any 5.1 source. I would suggest then you are not missing anything by not having it pre up sampled for you.

The atmos track for Transforms is up sampled; in 2007 it was a native 5.1 recording or whatever the theater equivalent was at the time. On my Trinnov I prefer to use Auro3D, the results are terrific on any 5.1 source. I would suggest then you are not missing anything by not having it pre up sampled for you.
Spot on, true Atmos track will always be better vs 5.1 upsampled no matter how good the upsampler is.

Back