• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

ARGH - favorite scenes all gone

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
:mad::mad:

for no good reason, a few nights ago I noticed all my "Paused" movies were gone... or more accurately, they had lost their paused marker. Not a huge deal, but frustrating... probably a small bug in v3.3 beta that I'm running.

I had a drive failure in the meantime... (not sure if that's related or not to the paused markers getting blown away.) Kscape sent me a new drive, I replaced it just fine. Before I replaced the drive, I thought I should probably do one of those "System Snapshot" commands in the installer interface. make sure it had all my preferences saved, etc. just good thing to do every month or so right?

All seemed OK until last night when I noticed that ALL my favorite scenes were gone. Hundreds of them. A ton of work.

"AH, " thinks I, "I did a system shapshot!! I should be able to get them all back!". Did a snapshot restore. Nothing. Still gone.

Now I realize that when the system lost my paused markers it had also lost my favorite scenes. Doing a snapshot after that OVERWROTE my last month's one, and stored a snapshot with no favorite scenes. Of course I wouldn't have done a snapshot had I noticed my favorite scenes were gone, but I hadn't noticed. They're gone. I'm bummed.

Yes, I can get back some of my scenes from the files I posted here to the forums. But I'd added hundreds of favorite scenes that I never exported or posted here. those are all gone.

But there are two lessons here:
  1. Make a backup of your favorite scenes! It takes 5 seconds to do an export of your scenes to a .DAT file you store on your computer in case anything goes wrong. (hey, while you're at it, share that scene file here for others!)
  2. Think carefully about agreeing to participate in a beta program for new software. There are risks!
--josh

Bummer!!:(
Hopefully support can figure out what caused that and make appropriate changes. IIRC, that new version is already being dowloaded to existing clients.

Jim

Back