• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone using Plex to Supplement Kaleidescape?

How do you manage gaps in Kaleidescape Catalog?

• I rip those discs to a Plex-like local server

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I just play those discs when I need to

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I find that I don’t really need to watch those obscure titles often

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
I think you're misunderstanding me. The critical requirement for me in starting this thread is that the movie be in 4K. There isn't a way for Kaleidescape to offer these 4K disc movies in the Kaleidescape UI, all the Kaleidescape disc management legacy systems are for HD only, as far as I can figure out. I started this thread to explore ways Kaleidescape owners fll in the blanks in the 4K Kaleidescape line-up. I do enjoy the Kaleidescape system and consider it the best movie player platform available. This is not me complaining, but me trying to figure out the optimal combination of systems to have the highest quality playback of the broadest range of movies in my theater. I go back and forth on Plex, because it's such a hassle. I was just looking up the steps to rip discs to a NAS, and it's just not what I'm willing to spend my brain focus on. I'm thinking I'll stick to K and my Oppo. I guess my criteria are top quality 4K and effortless, and K+Oppo get me there.

You're right that I'm new here, both to K ownership and to this forum. If it's not acceptable to speak plainly and honestly, and only applaud the K platform and its virtues, then perhaps you're also right that this might not be a place for me.

Edgar, I see where you’re coming from now. However, it’s important to note that the Kaleidescape system is designed to provide a premium, seamless experience, which is why it commands a premium price. The absence of 4K disc integration in the UI is a known limitation, but that’s part of the package.

If your critical requirement is top-quality 4K with minimal hassle, sticking with Kaleidescape and using your Oppo for those missing titles seems like the best solution. Ripping discs to a NAS is indeed a hassle and not something everyone wants to deal with.

In essence, you’re not going to find a perfect, all-in-one solution that meets every single requirement without some trade-offs. Embrace the strengths of the systems you have and enjoy the experience they offer.

Yes, we're already on the same page there. I do accept that there isn't an all-in-one solution, I actually type that phrase out a lot on various forums and communications. It was in fact the primary conclusion of an essay I put out on another platform. I also see the benefit of the diversity of platforms, in that we aren't dependent on one monolithic platform for all content. That boutique labels and startups like K can gently push multinational media corporations to let them give us better options is a really good thing.

I also understood that 4K disc integration into K wasn't a feature, which is why I was surprised when another member suggested that I just use a Premiere. I looking it up again, and confirmed it's an HD-only feature.

What I'm trying to understand here is what is the popular solution for the number 2 spot for how we consume our full-fat 4K movies. Looking at the survey results to this thread, Plex is still a popular option. If enough people find it valuable, and if there's something compelling about that that I'm not factoring in, then I might take a look at it again. But it doesn't sound like there is. I might take another look in the future, but for now I have other items in my queue.

LoveCinema, I'm thinking of importing that Godzilla Minus One disk too, since I can play external subtitles. When I check Amazon Japan, the price seems nuts. Ebay seems slightly better. Not sure we'll see a 4K disc release outside of Japan, even if a Blu-ray comes out for the US.
Godzilla Minus One can't hit US discs/digital in 2024, so a domestic release is next year at the earliest. To get the 4K UHD, you have to buy the top collector's set, so you'll be in the $100 neighborhood after tax & shipping. Since it's a nice set, I prefer to use eBay where the sellers pack well and ship quickly.

One note on subs: I grabbed the most downloaded subtitles available, tested the first five minutes, then had someone over for a viewing. The timing was all over the place throughout the movie. Definitely research better than I did. I'll dig up a better file when I view the B&W version (included in the 4K set on Blu-ray).

Now, is it worth $100 to see one flick at home a year early? That's for each of us to decide...

Option N (for nuts):

Kaleidescape Premiere system with both region A and B players for DVDs and Blu-rays from all around the world.

Oppo UDP-203 with region mod for 4K UHD Blu-rays and VCDs.

Integra DHS-8.8 for HD-DVDs

JVC HM DT100 for D-Theater, D-VHS, S-VHS and VHS tapes

Pioneer HLD-X0 for NTSC Laserdiscs and Hi-Vision discs (with Panasonic TU-MDC100 Muse decoder for Hi-Vision 1135i HD)

Pioneer DVL-919E (EU model) for PAL and PALplus Laserdiscs

NME ML722S for HD-VMD discs.

At one point not long ago I had VHD, CED, UMD and Betamax but not many exclusives to keep them around anymore.

I also considered importing a CBHD (China Blue HD) player but decided not to after talking to my doctor :)

To all involved in these conversations. There is nothing wrong with discussing options to maximize that value of your content, be it disc based or otherwise. I think we can all agree we'd like to have the best playback experience possible for the movies we enjoy, and that usually means playing the movie at the best resolution available based on the equipment we own, be that on disc or in digital form.

It's just a reality that as good as K is, there is content that is not available to the platform (yet). For those owners that want that missing content, forums are a good resource to discuss alternatives, and to learn what others have done to access that content.

Let's keep it friendly, respectful, and above all be accepting that others may have a different opinion on the best way to support their movie watching experience.

Jim

Godzilla Minus One can't hit US discs/digital in 2024, so a domestic release is next year at the earliest. To get the 4K UHD, you have to buy the top collector's set, so you'll be in the $100 neighborhood after tax & shipping. Since it's a nice set, I prefer to use eBay where the sellers pack well and ship quickly.

One note on subs: I grabbed the most downloaded subtitles available, tested the first five minutes, then had someone over for a viewing. The timing was all over the place throughout the movie. Definitely research better than I did. I'll dig up a better file when I view the B&W version (included in the 4K set on Blu-ray).

Now, is it worth $100 to see one flick at home a year early? That's for each of us to decide...
Someone asked me my top ten movies of last year. I said I only have two, Oppenheimer and Godzilla Minus One. For me it might very well be worth it, I’m mulling it over. If I go for it, and find a well-timed subtitle track, I’ll share that!

Edgar, I see where you’re coming from now. However, it’s important to note that the Kaleidescape system is designed to provide a premium, seamless experience, which is why it commands a premium price. The absence of 4K disc integration in the UI is a known limitation, but that’s part of the package.

If your critical requirement is top-quality 4K with minimal hassle, sticking with Kaleidescape and using your Oppo for those missing titles seems like the best solution. Ripping discs to a NAS is indeed a hassle and not something everyone wants to deal with.

In essence, you’re not going to find a perfect, all-in-one solution that meets every single requirement without some trade-offs. Embrace the strengths of the systems you have and enjoy the experience they offer.
Hey man, I am also new here. Was wondering if you could give any feedback to my Cinema system. The quality / set-up - as I know nothing about the tech....just pay for the darn thing under the MO of; "Get it absolutely brilliant, without murdering me cash-wise". If this is not the place to do that, let me know what forum is best for it. I have the K system being installed as well as an fyi. Just want to be sure that my set up, is indeed, an excellent one. I have the list of all components. Thank you.

Someone asked me my top ten movies of last year. I said I only have two, Oppenheimer and Godzilla Minus One. For me it might very well be worth it, I’m mulling it over. If I go for it, and find a well-timed subtitle track, I’ll share that!
Well, file this one under “Hey, what the heck do we know???”: New reports say that Godzilla Minus One hits digital movie stores in the US tomorrow???

Well, file this one under “Hey, what the heck do we know???”: New reports say that Godzilla Minus One hits digital movie stores in the US tomorrow???

Godzilla Minus One is currently available on Apple (iTunes) in 4K SDR w/Atmos.

And, contrary to the article I linked, Godzilla Minus One Minus Color is also available in HD as a separate purchase.

Toho appears to directly be distributing it, so a K release may not be anticipated.

I still maintain a relatively small amount of content on a NAS that I suspect we may not ever see on K, let alone even iTunes or whatnot. But I keep it light and simple and just stick to Apple TV and Infuse if I ever actually do want to play it.

Back