• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone have/willing to take pictures of a 1U+ internals?

smiley

Looking for (hi-res) pics of 1U+ Internals (Motherboard, Cards, Power Supply, etc).
Thanks in advance!

Not that it didn't take a lot longer to find mine than I expected, but there's bound to be plenty of power supply pics floating around.

Attachments

• SSF-160U1_obs.jpg
    SSF-160U1_obs.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • SSF-160U1 UL docs.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 11
Are you sure that the above are from a 1U+? I thought the SSF-160 was already EOL/Unobtainium by the time that the 1U+ rolled out in 2017.

Key sentence from the above linked announcement:
The 1U+ Movie Server is a follow-on to the Kaleidescape 1U Server which is the workhorse for most Kaleidescape systems worldwide. The 1U+ Movie Server provides higher performance and better reliability, due to a substantial redesign. Its new power supply promises to significantly increase MTBF over that of the 1U Server. We retained the 1U Server’s industrial engineering (appearance, electrical connectors, user interface) because it is a proven design, and because this allows the 1U+ Movie Server to fit seamlessly into an existing system when adding or replacing a server.
That said, I would not expect to see the old Seasonic power supply in a 1U+

I am curious about the motherboard and the cpu in the 1U and 1U+ servers. I have the 3U server which has a slightly modified* version of Commell LV-672 motherboard and an Intel Celeron D cpu (90nm single core with 84W tdp). There is a revised (65nm) version of the same family Intel Celeron D cpu with higher clock speed and 65W tdp. I wonder if the newer 1U+ servers use a newer and more efficient cpu. The bulk of the power consumption in the 3U server comes from the large number of HDDs (6.5W typical / 8W max per each 6TB) but the CPU is generating the bulk of the heat. The static pressure fans in the rear exhausts run at 4000rpm and very loud. The power supply is nothing special. 80 Plus Gold certified which means %82 efficiency. One could consider a Platinum certified psu with %94 efficiency but it would take 2 years for the more efficient psu to pay it self off with %12 efficiency difference. This is with the California utility rates. It would take many more years in other markets where power is cheaper.

*Most of the I/O sockets and 1 of 2 ethernet controller chipsets are desolder/removed.

Downloads with the 1U+ was definitely faster compared to the 1U/3U. I am going from memory here but it seems it was 50-60% faster. So the hardware must be a difference in the hardware.

John

You might find the pic's you're looking for, but given that all of the 1U+ units should still be under warranty, I don't think anyone is going to chance voiding the warranty by opening the case. However, if I do come across one that's open for some reason, I'll try to get you the pics.

Jim

I am curious about the motherboard and the cpu in the 1U and 1U+ servers. I have the 3U server which has a slightly modified* version of Commell LV-672
Nope, totally missed the plus in the request.

motherboard and an Intel Celeron D cpu (90nm single core with 84W tdp). There is a revised (65nm) version of the same family Intel Celeron D cpu with higher clock speed and 65W tdp. I wonder if the newer 1U+ servers use a newer and more efficient cpu. The bulk of the power consumption in the 3U server comes from the large number of HDDs (6.5W typical / 8W max per each 6TB) but the CPU is generating the bulk of the heat. The static pressure fans in the rear exhausts run at 4000rpm and very loud. The power supply is nothing special. 80 Plus Gold certified which means %82 efficiency. One could consider a Platinum certified psu with %94 efficiency but it would take 2 years for the more efficient psu to pay it self off with %12 efficiency difference. This is with the California utility rates. It would take many more years in other markets where power is cheaper.

*Most of the I/O sockets and 1 of 2 ethernet controller chipsets are desolder/removed.
... I'm most interested in the motherboard of the 1U+

Back